Future ISU runners prep and race at Lied

Trey Alessio

The gun sounded and tons of fans shouted at the top of their lungs to cheer on each young woman running for first place.

Lied Recreation Athletic Center hosted a high school track meet on March 11 and 12. In a span of two days, 2,000 competitors — boys and girls — participated in numerous indoor track and field events.

In all, 150 girls’ teams attended the meet held at Lied on March 11. Of the 800 female competitors, two girls have committed to continue their track careers at Iowa State for next year.

Emma Drees from Waukee and Anna Holdiman from Waverly-Shell Rock will be attending Iowa State next year to run track.

Drees did not perform on March 11 due to an illness, but was set to run hurdles and participate in the long jump. Holdiman ran the 3,000-meter, finishing in less than 10 minutes for second place, and also competed in the 1,500-meter run.

“I like the 3,000 because it’s long enough to get into a groove, but you still have to be pretty quick,” Holdiman said.

The track meet held at Lied is the first meet of the year for most schools. The facility at Lied allows high school teams to participate in track and field during cold weather.

“It’s a good way to get the kids ready for other meets,” said Carlisle High School assistant coach Alicia Cosimo. “This kind of serves as a warmup meet.”

For many student-athletes at the high school level, it is a big deal to perform on a big stage at Iowa State in a collegiate atmosphere. Some see it as a way to get out of school and others find it stressful.

“I think it’s more nerve-racking than a regular meet because there’s someone to impress,” Drees said.

There’s a lot that goes into preparation for a race.

“Before the gun I think about what I need to do, and while I’m running it’s all about getting in good position,” Holdiman said.