Cyclones sign four recruits to join in spring

Jake Calhoun

Iowa State signed two Juco All-Americans and two highly touted preps, the team announced on Wednesday.

High schoolers Alton Meeks and Shawn Curtis, both from Orlando, Fla., and Juco All-Americans Aaron Wimberly and Emmanuel Bibbs are the four that will be joining the team when it starts spring practices in March.

Meeks, who hails from Dr. Phillips High School, was a quarterback who agreed to convert to linebacker upon signing with the team.

“We think he falls under the same mode as Jake [Knott] and A.J. [Klein] — that type of player,” said ISU coach Paul Rhoads of Meeks. “He’s a leader, he’s a tough guy, he’s a good athlete.”

Meeks stands at 6-foot-3, 240 pounds, which is the same frame of All-Big 12 first-teamers Knott and Klein, who will both be graduating this season.

Rhoads said the development of Knott and Klein into the nation’s best linebackers is partly what convinced Meeks to commit and make the transition from quarterback to linebacker.

Speaking of size, Curtis stands at 6-foot-5, 270 pounds as a high school senior, which is typically considered an undersized offensive lineman at the college level.

Even though Curtis will likely bulk up during spring ball, Rhoads shared his doubts of having him play as a true freshman.

“It’s a great challenge for him,” Rhoads said of Curtis possibly playing as a true freshman. “Regardless of whether he’s here for spring ball or not, it’s a great challenge just because of the physical demands of that position.

“Anytime you’re closer to the football, I think it’s harder to play earlier.”

Wimberly comes to Iowa State as a running back out of Iowa Western Community College, where he won second-team All-America honors en route to helping his team win the 2012 national junior college championship.

Rhoads said his staff is counting on Wimberly to produce right away next season.

“He is an offensive weapon at a number of places on the field,” Rhoads said of Wimberly. “He could line up all over the field.”

At the time of media availability, Rhoads said he could not comment on Bibbs — or even say it was Bibbs — since he had not formally committed at that time.