Gadson, Meeks make highly anticipated dual debuts

photo: Jonathan Krueger/Iowa State Daily

Freshman John Meeks grabs Old Dominion’s Scott Festejo’s legs at Hilton Coliseum on Nov. 25.  The Cyclones lost 22-13.

Maddy Arnold

For the first time in his collegiate career sophomore Kyven Gadson was healthy for a meet.

Gadson and the rest of ISU wrestling competed in their first dual meet of the season Sunday. The meet ended with Iowa State falling to Old Dominion 22-13.

“[Gadson] has got a lot of heart,” said ISU wrestling coach Kevin Jackson. “That was his first match in a year. We need to see more of that heart from a few other guys. We had a several matches in the balance that I don’t think should have been in the balance.” 

After suffering a torn labrum in the spring of 2011, Gadson received surgery last December. Sunday was his first match back.

“It was very exciting to be back out there with all of our fans,” Gadson said. “It puts me in a good place. I feel healthy. I feel strong. I’m excited to get after it again.”

Gadson said the long recovery he has gone through since injuring his labrum and receiving surgery has improved his wrestling.

“I don’t think it was frustration,” Gadson said. “I think it was some good motivation, just some good healthy motivation. That put everything in perspective for me.”

After the third period, Gadson’s match with Old Dominion’s Jacob Henderson was tied at two. The match went to sudden victory where Gadson was awarded a takedown.

During the match, Gadson was awarded a reversal from a scramble in which he escaped and quickly notched a takedown within seconds.

“I definitely don’t think it was the right call,” Jackson said. “When points were awarded, I thought [the referee] gave a point for an escape but he took a shot seconds after that and got the takedown.”

Another highly anticipated wrestler in Sunday’s meet was true freshman John Meeks.

Meeks was a four-time state champion and undefeated in high school. It was unclear whether or not he would redshirt this season.

“He’s our best guy at the weight class,” Jackson said. “I think he’ll contend when it comes down to march. He’ll show why we didn’t redshirt him.”

During the Harold Nichols Cyclone Open, Meeks competed as an unattached wrestler and finished second in his 133 weight class.

Meeks competed in the Old Dominion match but lost in a 6-3 decision.

“I think he got nervous,” Jackson said. “I think he got scared. I think he got overwhelmed a little bit by the moment and was not himself. … I’m really not worried about [Meeks]. I’m really not worried about him. I think he’ll figure it out and find away to brush this one off.”

Meeks was a man of few words after the meet.

“I just didn’t wrestle like I should,” Meeks said. “It’s not going to happen again.”