Studying abroad provides different benefits for students

Megan Shirley, F

When it comes to studying, why not study in a foreign country? Studying abroad is a great opportunity for you to expand your life experiences and add a few new stamps to your passport. The College of Agriculture and Life Sciences offers plenty of options for study abroad courses from Italy to Uganda. These courses vary from semester to semester, giving you the perfect time slots for your time over seas.

Studying abroad will benefit and enrich your life in countless ways.

The Institute for the International Education of Students surveyed students after they had returned home from their studies abroad. Their surveys showed that 96 percent of students had increased self-confidence and 80 percent increased their interest in academics after studying abroad.

Studies have also shown increased maturity, greater diversity, more self-exploration, and more prominent goals after students have studied abroad.

Studying abroad is also a great way to improve your second language skills, pursue various activities that you might not be able to do at home and network for your future.

There are a ton of countries you can choose from to study in that have a language other than English. This can give you an opportunity to either expand your knowledge on the language or learn a new language all together. Some study abroad programs will require you to take some basic language classes prior to your trip.

When you are abroad, there is going to be a whole new environment right at your fingertips. With a new environment, come new activities. While abroad, you could try new things such as, parasailing or zip lining.

Networking is a great benefit to studying abroad. You will get to connect and interact with businesses across the world, which could potentially be a great contact for a future job or internship. To learn more information about all of the study abroad options, visit http://www.agstudyabroad.iastate.edu/travel_courses.htm or talk to your advisor.