Take part in the many events and traditions of Homecoming

Ashley Hunt

Each year Iowa State students, faculty, alumni and people of the Ames community come together to celebrate one special week in Iowa State’s history. Homecoming.

This year marks the Centennial Celebration, or as we clever Cyclones like to say, the Cytennial Celebration. In honor of our 100th Homecoming at Iowa State, it’s important to remember all of the traditions – new and old – and events that surround the week that is Homecoming.

There are a plethora of festivities and activities for everyone to get involved in.

Homecoming Button Lunches

The week starts out with the annual Homecoming button sales. In the past, people have been able to purchase the button for just $5. Then, showing the button at the Central Campus lunch station each day would give the student or faculty member a free lunch, Monday through Friday.

This year, however, purchasing a button for $5 will get the student seven meals instead of just 5.  In addition to the usual five lunches, showing your button at the Pep Rally Friday evening at the Alumni Center will get the student a free dinner.

Lawn Displays

Also throughout the week, Iowa State students and fans alike are encouraged to take a stroll over to Greekland, where lawn displays of each fraternity and sorority will be on display for anyone to enjoy. Lawn displays are usually based on the year’s Homecoming theme as well as embodying Cyclone Spirit and embracing being an Iowa Stater.

Tournaments

Tournamnents are also held throughout the Homecoming week. If you didn’t sign up to be on a team, we encourage you to go ahead and attend the tournaments anyway. Cheer on your friends, classmates, and fellow sorority sisters and fraternity brothers. It’s sure to be a good time for all.

Butter Cy

Skipping on to Friday evening, the real fun begins. Friday, Oct. 26 holds some of the favorite traditions and events of past Homecomings.

Start your Friday out by heading to the Kildee Hall atrium any time from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. to see a life-sized butter sculpture of our favorite mascot, Iowa State’s very own Cy. The butter Cy will be created and sculpted by Sarah Pratt, the State Fair butter sculptor.

Pep Rally

Friday evening be sure to attend the traditional and exciting Homecoming pep rally. Usually held in Central Campus, this year’s pep rally will be held at the Iowa State Alumni Center on Beach Ave. The pep rally begins at 5 p.m. Friday.

The pep rally includes appearances from Iowa State football head coach Paul Rhodes, as well as members of the Cyclone football and basketball teams.

Yell-Like-Hell

Another favorite tradition can be enjoyed during this time. Yell-Like-Hell finals will be held during the Pep Rally. If you’re unfamiliar with Yell-Like-Hell, expect to see a number of students in the Greek Community painted head-to-toe in our favorite Cyclone colors cardinal and gold. The competition includes a skit-like performance where the students “yell like hell” and act out a story that encompasses the theme of Homecoming and Cyclone spirit.

As if that wasn’t enough “exCYtement” for one event, this year during the pep rally, a cash bar will be provided by Olde Main Brewing Co. beginning at 7 p.m. Dinner will be available to purchase or will be free for people wearing their official Iowa State Homecoming button.

You might want to get there early, as the first 100 people at the Pep Rally will get a special Homecoming prize.

ExCYtement in the Streets

Following the pep rally, “ExCYtement in the Streets” will begin. All Iowa State students and fans are encouraged to walk through Greekland to view the Homecoming lawn displays if they haven’t already. This self-guided parade has been a Homecoming tradition for many years.

Pancake Feed on Central Campus

After you’ve gotten into the Cyclone Spirit at the Pep Rally and taken part in the parade through Greekland, end your night at Central Campus.

From 10 p.m. – midnight for just $3 you can get all-you-can-eat pancakes.

Hang around Central Campus until midnight to take part in one of Iowa States most celebrated traditions. Fireworks begin at midnight and couples from across Ames come together under the Campanile to celebrate a favorite tradition all around, mass campaniling. Story has it that someone is not a true Iowa Stater until he or she kisses someone under the Campanile at midnight.

As this is the 100th anniversary of ISU Homecoming, student organizers hope to get the biggest turn out to date in honor of the Cytennial Celebration.

Start your Saturday off right by attending the Cyclone Central Homecoming Tailgate held at the ISU Alumni Center. Beginning three hours before the kickoff for the big game, Cyclone fans can come together to prepare for a Cyclone football victory later that day.

Admission is free but fans who wish to enjoy a meal, catered by Hickory Park, need to register in advance online.

Next is perhaps the most important tradition of Homecoming: the football game. The Cyclones will battle Baylor University at Jack Trice Stadium.  Cheer on your favorite team to victory – and don’t forget to wear your favorite Cardinal and Gold colors.

With a ton of exciting events and traditions to take part in, Homecoming week is sure to be one to remember.

Let’s have a fun and safe week and “Take Ames by Storm.”

Go Cyclones!