Beta Theta Pi raises money for local youth homeless shelter

Michael.Finn

The ISU fraternity chapter of Beta Theta Pi raised money Friday night, Aug. 31, for a local youth homeless shelter through their annual philanthropy event, “Beta Burgers and Bands.”

For $5, students and Ames residents enjoyed an all-you-can-eat buffet of burgers, chips and lemonade while listening to several local bands perform throughout the night. All proceeds of the event went to the Youth Shelter and Services of Story County, a homeless youth outreach organization with a presence in the Ames community.

“We’re hoping that this will raise a lot of money to help with YSS and to put Beta Theta Pi back on the map,” said Victor Theng, philanthropy chairman for Beta Theta Pi. “We’re hoping that this becomes a tradition again.”

The ISU chapter of Beta Theta Pi recently became active again after a several year hiatus. This event is the first official philanthropy they have had in the last five years.

“The big thing about this event is that this is our first philanthropy as an officially chartered house,” Theng said. “We recently got chartered last summer. This is a good way to say that we are back on campus.”

Those who attended entered through the driveway of Beta Theta Pi fraternity and made their way to the backyard, where they hopped in line for homemade burgers and lemonade. Five local bands – The Hollowpoint, Chaos Saints, All The Way, Christopher the Conquered and DJ Dadblast performed on the fully equipped soundstage at different times throughout the night.

DJ Dadblast, a solo project headed by ISU student Will Hart, ended the night with a lightshow and electrified dance beats. Hart’s DJ Dadblast is one half of the Bubbleclap duo, which is set release their first album next spring.

“I came here to support a good cause and to support the Greek community,” said Rachel Rolling, a sophomore in mathematics who was in attendance. “And it’s really cool to be able to come to a philanthropy and listen to live music.”