Kucera filling void left by McLaughlin

Photo: Huiling Wu/ Iowa State Daily

Theresa Kucera, junior from Omaha, Neb., has taken on a leadership role for the Cyclones’ back line this season. Kucera has started all 12 games for the Cyclones this year after starting just four total during her freshman and sophomore seasons combined. 

Dan Cole

Replacing a leader is never easy.

When Mary Kate McLaughlin graduated in May 2012, she left a void of substantial depth in the ISU soccer team’s locker room.

McLaughlin captained the Cyclones defense for each of her four seasons at Iowa State, a time during which she started 73 of the team’s 78 games. She led the Cyclones in minutes played during each of her sophomore, junior and senior seasons and now owns a vast array of awards and nominations as a testament to the legacy she left behind.

“Mary Kate is the type of player that every coach really enjoys,” said ISU coach Wendy Dillinger, who coached McLaughlin through her entire career as a Cyclone. “She was just incredibly competitive and a big part of building the team, especially my first four years here. I couldn’t have asked for more in a player. She epitomizes what it means to be a student-athlete.”

Although McLaughlin left an impact, ISU junior Theresa Kucera is doing her best to create a legacy

of her own. Kucera, who

has taken over McLaughlin’s role this season, started just four games during her freshman and sophomore seasons combined. Last season, Kucera started just one game and failed to record a goal

or assist.

This season, Kucera has started all 12 games for the Cyclones, has scored one goal and is currently second on the team in minutes played with 944, just 109 minutes less than the previous two full seasons combined.

“It’s definitely a big role to fill,” Kucera said. “M.K. really had an impact on the team, being a captain and being very vocal. It’s a challenging position that I’m willing to take. I think I’m taking it in strides; I’ve learned a lot but I still have a lot to learn.”

This season has been a growing experience for Kucera. Her increase in playing time has allowed her to steadily mature into her new role and learn something new every day, whether it be from the coaching staff or from her predecessor, McLaughlin, who Kucera says is always available to go over film with her and provide support.

Although Kucera has found a home centering the Cyclones’ back line this season, she has not always played centerback.

During her time at Millard North High School in Omaha, Neb., Kucera spent most of her time as a center-midfielder. Her role in the midfield consisted of a lot of defensive play, demanding many of the same tools she now utilizes to orchestrate the Cyclones’ defense.

“Theresa definitely fills in that physical role,” said ISU junior Amanda Woelfel, who also went to Millard North and spent three years playing defense behind Kucera in high school. “She wins the ball; she’s tough back there; and she’s really good at communicating and helping get things organized in the back line.”

This season’s Cyclone roster boasts six players from the Omaha area, including Kucera and Woelfel. ISU freshman Marquette Pick, who also went to Millard North, played on the same high school team as Kucera. Fellow junior Margaret Powers played on Kucera’s club team prior to their arrival at Iowa State, as well.

“We definitely have some connections in Omaha. There’s a bit of talent there,” Dillinger said. “They’re all very different; they bring different elements to the game. There’s not one defining [common] characteristic in all of the Omaha players.”

When choosing to attend Iowa State as a kinesiology major, Kucera placed academics ahead of athletics, which is something she knows will benefit her beyond graduation.

“When I first came here, they showed me the academic side before the soccer side,” Kucera said. “With soccer, you like the girls. You like the team, but it only lasts for a certain amount of time. The school had the kinesiology program; the campus is beautiful; and the team chemistry was there.”

This season, Kucera has established herself as a leader and has done her best to satisfy the role that McLaughlin so successfully fulfilled for the previous four seasons. 

As much as Kucera’s teammates see her as a leader, she sees it in herself, as well. 

“I definitely feel it,” Kucera said.

“I feel it with the coaches; I feel it among myself; and I feel like the team feels it too.”