Students receive real entrepreneurial experience

Supply Chain Management 490 is an independent study class where a group of students takes an existing bio-bus program and turns it into a fully-staffed business.

Madison Martin

In 2008, David Correll and a few of his peers created the student run organization ISU BioBus. Now, a group of about 25 students actively spend time turning used vegetable oil from campus dining centers into biodiesel used to fuel one CyRide bus.

This semester five students, junior and senior level from all different majors, are enrolled in an independent study class called SCM 490.

Supply Chain Management 490 is a course in the College of Business taught David Cantor.

“Students have to make up and present a plan to the University to create a department on campus to run the BioBus project.” Cantor said.

Jordan Minich, senior in pre-business, is a member of the small group of students.

“We want to keep BioBus as a student ran organization, and at the same time being a business so that it is a profitable, self-sustained organization. That way we need to only take minimal funding from the university,” Minich said. “It’s always nice to have support from [the Government of the Student Body] and what not, but we mainly want to rely on profit by selling the waste oil, the byproduct glycerin, and government grants.”

Correll, now a graduate teaching and research assistant, was thrilled to hear these students are trying to take BioBus to the next step: “I am so excited, and kind of honored that it is going to grow as an institution and hopefully become a permanent part of Iowa State. I’m so glad they are going to make that happen.”

Correll also said he “would like to see students involved predominately. I think one the best things we do is expose students who are interested in green business and recycling to that sector where they actually get to recycle stuff. So I would always hope that BioBus keeps a commitment to students, but it is a production system so there may need to be some staff to keep things organized.”

Currently CyRide does not pay for the small amount of biodiesel provided to them. 

When asked if he thought CyRide would be interested buying biodiesel from BioBus in the future, Cantor replied, “I think CyRide is open to acquiring more biodiesel from us. They have tested the fuel on bus with our biodiesel and have had no technical problems, so I think they would be open to more from Iowa State in the future.”

SCM 490 students will take their plans to the university in November. Cantor said the students hope to invite campus representatives to final presentation.

Minich said who they invite to their presentations “depends on where our goals are at the time. Financially it could be banks, if it’s obtaining more oil or waste grease it would the head of food services.”

Asked if he thinks it’s possible for the entire plan to be finished by the end of the semester, Minich replied, “It is. It won’t be put in place by that time but wheels will definitely be rolling. The plan and everything will be taken care of and hopefully funding will be in place. Our goal is to have everything set to where it’s ‘Okay, go, take it.’ So where there’s funding, we have a place, parts are ordered, and everything, whether it’s supply chain, marketing, business management, everything is set to go.”