Letter to the editor: Removing water bottles would have overall negative effect

Spencer Hughes

The Government of the Student Body Senate recently passed a resolution to potentially ban plastic water bottle sales on the ISU campus. As a GSB senator at the time of that vote, I strongly opposed the resolution. Eliminating the sale of bottled water would strip convenience and choice from students, and ultimately result in negative effects on both the health and the wallets of students.

First, bottled water is extremely convenient to those who choose to use it. It’s available in the campus convenience stores and vending machines across campus. I take comfort in the fact I can buy water almost anywhere, if I so choose. And if I want water, why shouldn’t I be able to purchase it? It is water, after all — we aren’t talking about crystal meth here.

To those who bring reusable bottles to campus and fill up throughout the day, I salute you for making an effort to better yourself and the environment. But eliminating plastic water bottle sales will not make more people act like you. Nancy Levandowski, director of ISU Dining, stated that an ongoing program to give a free reusable metal water bottle to every student with a meal plan has had no effect on plastic water bottle sales. This program is ending at the close of this academic year. If students don’t use free reusable bottles, what makes anyone think that they’ll use ones they have to buy?

Additionally, the negative impacts on student health and student bank accounts are troubling. According to a study cited in the Boston Globe this past Sunday, research shows if bottled water is not available to those wishing to purchase it, 52 percent of people will choose soda or another sugared drink over tap water. The harmful health effects of removing bottled water are proven. And with Ames in contention to become a Blue Zone community, taking such a stand against student wellness would be a powerful statement indeed.

The economic concerns associated with this removal are also significant. ISU Dining grossed over $200,000 last year from bottled water sales alone. ISU Dining is also in the process of negotiating a new vending contract, and removing bottled water sales from that contract would make it less valuable. If less money were to come in from that source, ISU Dining would be confronted with two options: reduce the services provided to students or raise the prices they must pay. Neither outcome is good.

Luckily, we have a third choice. Stand in support of choice and of the availability of a healthy product. Support student wellness on campus without breaking the bank. While those wishing to remove plastic water bottles from campus are certainly well intentioned, their proposal is unworkable and will certainly have a net negative effect on students. Keep the water bottles.