Vet Med puts the ‘V’ in Veishea with open house

ISU students brought their pets to be part of the petting zoo at the College of Veterinary Medicine open house on Saturday, April 21. The college came together to bring some veterinary knowledge to the community. 

Erin Toohey

The College of Veterinary Medicine hosted its annual open house to celebrate Veishea.

Clubs like College of Veterinary Medicine Spectrum and Student Chapter of American Veterinary Medical Association hosted displays for children, such as animal mask making and a teddy bear suture lab, respectively.

Other clubs like the Zoo, Exotics and Wildlife Club, the Avian Club, and the Herpetology Club had exotic animal displays which included reptiles, geckos, birds and other animals.

Within the open house, there were many other events going on, for both children and adults alike.

Many of the events were sponsored by organizations.

“Different veterinary student clubs have displays all over the school,” said Allison Meiszberg, a third year veterinary student.

There were also informational displays, such as dog bite prevention sponsored by Student Chapter of American Veterinary Medical Association, Canine CPR put on by the Student Chapter of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care, and a booth by the Shelter Club that showed shelter pets for adoption.

Other organizations that had displays were the Wildlife Care Clinic, the American Animal Hospital Association and the Behavior Club.

In the basement was a petting zoo, which had goats, a miniature horse and other animals.

There were also events for students who are looking at applying to the vet school.

There were tours of the college, the newly remodeled Small Animal Hospital and also the Large Animal Hospital.

There was also a prospective student seminar, which required pre-registration and included lunch.

“The prospective student seminar is pretty much a workshop that goes over the general application process,” said Nick Sterner, a third year veterinary student.

It also included information on how to create a competitive resume, which is important when applying for vet school, and was a great chance for prospective students and parents to get their questions answered.

This year, over 150 people signed up for the seminar.

“We actually had to cap off registration because it filled up so fast, which is good,” Sterner said.

The school has the open house every year Veishea weekend to show the public more about the college and the veterinary profession.

“We’re a little off the beaten path, and we want to show people what we have to offer,” Meiszberg said.

She also added that the College of Veterinary Medicine likes to get involved with the rest of the university.

Sterner summed up the reason the open house is every year in one simple statement.

“Because we put the ‘V’ in Veishea,” he said.