First Open Forum for Iowa State’s senior vice president and provost to be held April 22

Frances Myers

The first open forum for Iowa State’s senior vice president and provost search will be Jonathan Wickert, dean of the College of Engineering. It will be at 10:30 a.m. Monday in the Pioneer Room of the Memorial Union.

During this time, Wickert will meet with members of the university community.

Wickert has served as the dean of the College of Engineering at Iowa State since 2009. He came to Iowa State in 2007 as chairman of the department of mechanical engineering and the Larry and Pam Pithan Professor of Mechanical Engineering. Before coming to Iowa State, he served 17 years on the faculty in the mechanical engineering department at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh.

Wickert is the James and Katherine Melsa Professor of Engineering and a professor of mechanical engineering. He earned his bachelor’s degree in 1985, master’s degree in 1987, and his doctorate in 1989, all in mechanical engineering from the University of California at Berkeley.

As dean of the College of Engineering, he leads academic programs and business operations which encompass 7,000 students, 360 faculty and staff members, a $69 million general fund budget, $77 million in annual sponsored research, and $20 million in annual private gift production.

This will be the first of the three open forums for provost and vice president of Iowa State.

The next open forum will be for David Manderscheid, dean of the College of Arts and Sciences at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. This will be at 1:30 p.m. Tuesday in Pioneer Room of the Memorial Union.

The third and last forum will be for Carlo Montemagno, founding dean of the College of Engineering and Applied Science at the University of Cincinnati. This forum will be at 10:45 a.m. Friday in the Memorial Union Gallery.