Cyclones search for win against ‘beatable’ Creighton

Photo: Jordan Maurice/Iowa State Daily

After a change in pitching in the fourth inning, freshman Madison Jones takes over for Tori Torrescano on Tuesday, March 27, at the Southwest Athletic Complex. While Jones was pitching, the Cyclones didn’t allow any home runs.

Dan Cole

The ISU softball team travels to Omaha, Neb., on Wednesday for a matchup with Creighton. The Cyclones (10-22, 0-6 Big 12) were swept in three games at Texas Tech this past weekend and have lost seven of their last eight games.

Wednesday’s game is a makeup for the game that was canceled on March 21.

Iowa State is 25-29-1 against the Bluejays (17-13, 6-3 Missouri Valley) all-time and split the two-game series between the two teams in Ames last season.

“Hopefully we go into Creighton and play well and get on a roll a little bit,” said ISU coach Stacy Gemeinhardt-Cesler.

Creighton is currently riding a six-game winning streak after dropping its first three games in conference play. They are 5-0 at home this season.

The Bluejays are one of the quicker teams the Cyclones will play all season, having hit 41 doubles and eight triples this season, in addition to having 22 stolen bases.

Bluejays freshman Allie Mathewson is currently batting .396 with 16 RBIs and nine stolen bases this season. Her .396 batting average is fourth-best in the Missouri Valley Conference.

“Tomorrow is good for us, just because we need some wins and I think Creighton is a very beatable school,” said ISU junior Tori Torrescano on Tuesday. “We also know them very well. We play them every year at least a couple times.”

The Cyclones’ last game was a close one, but they ended up falling to Texas Tech by a score of 5-3 in eight innings Sunday. Torrescano and sophomore teammate Taylor Smith pitched well, combining to allow only nine hits and zero walks in the game. Smith has been pitching well of late and currently leads the Cyclones with a 3.85 ERA.

Iowa State showed up somewhat offensively as well Sunday, recording eight hits off of Red Raiders freshman pitcher Cara Custer, one of the top pitchers in the Big 12. ISU freshman Jorden Smith went 2-for-3 with one RBI and two runs scored.

“Last weekend at Tech started off really rough but ended on a really high note,” Torrescano said. “So I’m hoping to carry that into the Creighton game.”

After the Cyclones play Creighton on Wednesday, they will begin to prepare for a three-game series with Texas A&M in Ames this weekend in hopes of picking up their first conference win of the season.

Wednesday’s game is slated to begin at 5 p.m. in Omaha, Neb.