‘The King of Africa’: Iowa State student inspires support, change for Africa

Photo: David Babayev/Iowa State

Moses Bomett, junior in economics and political science, talked about how he started the group. Hope 4 Africa is now spreading to universities across the midwest.

Kelly Madsen

“You should probably refer to him as Moses ‘King of Africa’ Bomett,” said Kyle Upchurch, Bomett’s long-time friend. “He loves that.”

As a 20 year old studying political science, international studies and economics at Iowa State, Bomett has already inspired thousands of Americans to bring hope to Kenyan school children as the founder of Hope 4 Africa, Inc.

Not only has his organization grown from one to 10 clubs in four short years, but Hope 4 Africa, Inc. has also raised more than $20,000 through fundraising campaigns. The campaigns have allowed American students to donate thousands of textbooks, instruments, computers and money for school fees for other students in Kenya.

“Hope 4 Africa provides an opportunity for American students to bring lasting change and prosperity to the youth of Africa,” Bomett said. “It is all about long-term solutions through education.”

With a grassroots nonprofit organization as successful as Hope 4 Africa, a second look must be taken at the man behind the magic.

The salesman

From national conferences in Salt Lake City to Iowa State’s Maintenance Shop stage, Bomett can walk into any room and be noticed. It might be his spiky hair or his dark skin people initially see, but when he begins to speak he can capture the attention of the toughest businessman or the smallest child.

“I love speaking,” Bomett said. “If I could speak about Africa for the rest of my life, I would.”

It may have stemmed from years of hearing his father, a pastor in Kenya, speak or years of telling his story as an immigrant from Nakuru, Kenya, but Bomett leaves audiences thirsting for more.

“It is like a game for me,” Bomett said. “I have never written out a speech, I just read the audience’s expression.”

His words are rich with passion, humor and logic.

“He oozes with charisma. He is the ultimate salesman,” said Upchurch, junior in political science, international studies and Spanish. “Fortunately he is selling something with incredible meaning.”

The family man

Between boarding schools and life in America, Moses has lived more than half of his life away from his family.

“I think his separation has given him amazing independence, but also fueled his excitement for his trips home or when his family visits him,” said Cheryl Stouffer, Bomett’s host “mom.”

Bomett’s relationship with his host family in West Des Moines, the Stouffers, has grown from being complete strangers into being his “American family.”

“It was a natural transition because he genuinely cared about our family,” said Bob Stouffer, Bomett’s host dad.

While Bomett’s life in America and life in Kenya are often separated, his worlds intersect when he leads his Hope 4 Africa trips back to the schools in Kenya.

“It was amazing when I first saw Moses leading a Hope 4 Africa trip to Kenya,” said Joshua Bomett, Bomett’s 24-year-old brother. “He was no longer my goofy little brother, but a passionate leader.”

Eight ISU students have had the privilege of traveling to Kenya with Bomett to meet the people Hope 4 Africa reaches. These students often are amazed with the similarities between Bomett and his family.

“We never really discuss our thoughts about helping others, but my parents’ kindness just transferred throughout our family,” Bomett said. “I wouldn’t be the way I am without them.”

The dancer

Shakira’s “Waka Waka” comes over the speakers. A big smile fills Bomett’s face as his eyes narrow on the fluorescent television screen. His competitiveness will not allow him to take this game lightly, but the “Just Dance 2” commands begin to come faster than his flailing arms and swinging hips can handle. Bomett’s dance moves quickly attract audiences.

“My favorite thing about Moses is that he has so many sides to his personality,”  said Bennett Coffman, Bomett’s close friend and junior in industrial engineering. “He can go from a heated debate about politics to dancing like a goof within a matter of minutes.”

When Bomett returns to the primary schools in Kenya, he will be the first to get a heated game of soccer going. Coffman said Bomett acts more like a child than any of the school children.

“We started laughing the first time we met and haven’t stopped since,” Coffman said.

The Creator

On a late Sunday night, the Hope 4 Africa executive team sat around the table dreaming up the next fundraising and awareness campaign. A thought came and it was unforgettable: a “hopeful challenge” of selling hope T-shirts between rival high schools at their football game. The idea was simple, and only two weeks later it was planned and the biggest fundraiser at the time.

“Sometimes I just build and destroy thoughts over and over again,” Bomett said.

It is this continued process which allows him to create.

“I am continually amazed by Moses’ fearlessness when thinking outside the box,” said Jon Fleming, vice president of the Hope 4 Africa board of directors and Theta Chi alumni chapter adviser. “He not only generates new ideas, but can organize people and logistics with ease.”

While it would be easy for Bomett to take complete control, he always asks for and implements the ideas of others, Upchurch said.

Not only does Bomett create ideas, but he also creates healthy and inspiring environments.

“He inspires others to be better,” Fleming said. “It is evident in everything I see him do, especially as the current president of Theta Chi fraternity.”

‘The King of Africa’

“Because Moses has done so much with his opportunities already, I know people both in America and Kenya expect him to continue to do big things,” Joshua said.

Bomett’s ultimate goal is to serve as an example for other Africans and to be part of the solution to problems in Africa. He has dedicated the past four years of his life to doing just that and plans to continue.

“I am a light. I shed light and show people what Africa is and that is all I want to do,” Bomett said.