Polar Bear Plunge raises record amount for Special Olympics of Iowa

Dance Marathon volunteers prepare to dive in Lake LaVerne for Polar Bear Plunge on Saturday, March 31. The event helped support Special Olympics Iowa.

Madeline Wilhelm

A record-breaking $90,000 was raised for this year’s Polar Bear Plunge, an annual event that takes place as part of Greek Week. This exceeds last year’s total of $57,000 and this year’s goal of $63,000.

Polar Bear Plunge is a fundraiser for the Special Olympics of Iowa. Each participant joins a team that collects donations and pledges to dive into Lake LaVerne.

Saturday, as part of Greek Week festivities, ISU students dressed in outrageous costumes to jump into the ISU landmark.

Each team distinguishes themselves by having a theme for costumes. The costumes vary from year to year, but they are traditionally outlandish. Some of the themes from this year were ’80s, ’90s, Dance Marathon teal, Titanic and splatter paint.

Taylor Richardson, freshman in apparel, merchandising and design and marketing, worked to organize the plunge for her sorority, Chi Omega. Their team did splatter paint costumes.

“I wanted to do a DayGlo theme. We thought jumping into the lake to dubstep music would be fun,” Richardson said.

Each team also chose a song to be the background music for their jump. Some of the songs were “Footloose” and “Call Me Maybe.”

As part of the Polar Bear Plunge, each participant is required to fundraise $50, but this year, many went above and beyond. 

With donations still coming in, Polar Bear Plunge has the potential to be the biggest fundraiser for Special Olympics of Iowa this year.

Brian Coffey, an intern from Northern Iowa who works for Special Olympics of Iowa, urged the plungers to continue fundraising right before they dove in.

“Please continue to raise funds for Special Olympics of Iowa,” Coffey said.

After a few words from the leaders of the event, the dive commenced.

Ryan Youngdahl, freshman in chemical engineering, expressed his enthusiasm right before the dive.

“I’m excited because we raised so much money for a good cause,” Youngdahl said.

Other divers had another take. Taylor Vollstedt, freshman in elementary education and first-time diver, was anxious.

“We are terrified,” Vollstedt said of her team. Vollstedt was a member of the teal team that dressed up in honor of Dance Marathon. Her outfit choice was based on the fact that the lake water would likely damage her clothes. “I chose this outfit because it’s teal and it’s disposable.”

The jump into the lake was quick for everyone. In groups of three or four, people jumped into the lake for their plunge.

“The cold water actually felt good because it was really warm out,” said Ira Mitchell, freshman in aerospace engineering. “Even though it’s not something I would normally do, it’s for a good cause and that’s all that matters.”