Iowa State Conference on Race and Ethnicity offers students, faculty chance to discuss racism, solutions

Rachel Sinn

Students and faculty gathered in support of the newly inducted Iowa State Conference on Race and Ethnicity members for their 13th year Friday afternoon in the Sun Room at the Memorial Union.

Tom Hill, Vice President of Student Affairs, congratulated the new group members and encouraged change among the student body.

“We must change this society, not we might or we could or we hope to,” he urged the audience. “We have to. You have to get into that mindset.”

Hill brought up the “Just Sayin’” column and the sensitive topic that has plagued the ISU campus for the past week, saying, “There’s been an issue that has been in the Daily. The administration didn’t start this, students started this.”

He encouraged the unity at Iowa State by adding, “We’re a family. Sometimes family doesn’t get along, but we stay a family.”

A video montage of student responses to the “Just Sayin’” indiscretion created by the Asian Pacific American Awareness Coalition was then played to show the audience the wide variety of opinion.

Allison Thongvanh, junior in electrical engineering and member of APAAC, stated after the video that of those surveyed, 55 percent thought the comments were racist, 30 percent asked for clarification on what the word “squintey” meant and the rest thought the phrase was in reference to ground squirrels.

The ISCORE discussion then began as the audience grouped into round tables with an ISCORE facilitator at each table. The ground rules for discussion pertained to respectful manners and open mindedness to all opinions for each question.

The first topic of discussion began with why the remarks made in the Daily were so important.

Thongvanh said, “I think it’s important because people being passive about racist comments, in a way are saying it’s OK to let them do that. At some point you have to draw a line.”

“If [racism] happened with one ethnic culture, we need to stop it and make a point to acknowledge that it’s offensive,” said Eva Soria, freshman in open-option.

Will Rosenberg, junior in mechanical engineering, did not recognize the word squinny as another word for ground squirrel.

“I’d never heard the term squinny before,” he said. “I’m sure it’s used somewhere, but I don’t think it’s used here.”

When asked how this could affect individual students and the university as a whole, Vanessa McNeal, freshman in child, adult and family services, said, “As an impact, people might feel like they don’t belong here.”

In between each question, one member of each cluster would offer the group consensus to the crowd.

Michael Benitez, graduate assistant of educational leadership and policy studies, stood up at one point to express his gratitude for such immense student response.

“I really almost want to cry,” he said. “When I see students take this level of dedication, I think, ‘We are going to make a change.’ I ask the faculty to be the agents to facilitate the change and to take the things the students say seriously. Right now, I’m in the back of the room with just awe and amazement. Students can do some absolutely incredible things.”

The last question was one that many would like answered: What can Iowa State do to address the racism on this campus?

“Just be mindful, sensitive and educated,” McNeal said.

Andy Pham, junior in chemical engineering and member of APAAC, analyzed it with his perspective. “I think it starts in the classroom. If you think about elementary school, you introduce everyone to each other and embrace them. Here, you just start taking notes in class.”

Rosenburg responded to Pham’s analysis with, “Maybe the solution is to bring together the separate groups.”

Hill closed the discussion by encouraging students to come to him when they are faced with racism. “We are family. We have to do something about it. I want to do something about it,” he said. “If you’ve got an issue, give me a chance to solve it. Don’t turn around and say nobody cares. This is a family.”

ISCORE plans on creating future student discussions and encourages those who have something to say to attend and bring friends. For information on future events, people are encouraged to like ISCORE on Facebook or visit its website.