Bruning: Learn the whole story before complaining about GSB

Jessica Bruning

For the past few weeks the student body has been told that their Government of the Student Body is worthless, that they don’t see any benefits from power hungry students that serve on this body, that GSB should be dismantled.

I served on GSB for three years as both a member of the Senate and on the executive branch as director of ISU Ambassadors. First, I am a bit offended to be told I didn’t make a difference, that the hours I put in, the scrutiny I was put under and the things I accomplished didn’t mean anything.

I disagree.

There are three parts to GSB and the columns in question only really talk about the senate. I know the senate sometimes seems intimidating and bureaucratic because, well, it is. However, would you really like the administrators of the university deciding how to spend all of your student fee money, or would you rather have your peers fund your clubs and activities?

For those who say GSB does not do anything for them, have you ever ridden CyRide? Yup, that is partially funded by GSB. You are reading the Iowa State Daily right now if you’re reading my column, also funded by GSB. Need a camera, laptop, projector or other electronic device? Check out the equipment checkout available in the Communications Building, which is also funded by GSB.

For the students who dislike GSB using money to send other clubs to competitions and paying for equipment, get off the couch and go join a club. Get involved if you want to see your money put to a use that you approve of. Or, even better, run for Senate and put your vote to good use.

But, you tell me, how am I even supposed to know what GSB does for me?

Look on the website. Students delete emails and ignore signs, so take some initiative and find out yourself. The public relations committee can only do so much to add to the advertising clutter. Email your senator. Visit the West Student Office Space in the Memorial Union. If there is a problem that you see on campus, talk to someone about it. If GSB can’t do anything about it, almost any member can put you in contact with the person you need to talk to. Senators are allowed to introduce the legislation they want, if you think something needs to be addressed, ask your senator to sponsor a bill. Any one of these things will take a minute portion of your day. All of the information you could ever want is at your fingertips. Senators can only do so much to connect to their constituencies if you aren’t willing to listen.

So we know about the senate, but what about the other portion of GSB, the executive cabinet? Last year’s executive cabinet accomplished a huge number of things with the help of various administrators, the Student Union Board and some senators, programs including Cyclone Cinema, which is a free showing of current films every weekend in Carver. Soda for Sobers, which provides free soft drinks for designated drivers at participating Campustown bars and remodeling the Greek Triangle, to name a few. In addition, the president and vice president serve as a voice of the students on university budget committees and regularly have input on strategic planning, curriculum and other committees. Would you really like to dismiss the only student voice in university budget meetings?

I personally organized Regent’s Day at the Capitol, an event that over 100 students attended to lobby for support of higher education. Even if you would argue nothing changed because of us, I whole heartedly believe that getting students involved first hand in the legislative process is invaluable to their development as an informed citizen. This year, ISU Ambassadors is submitting legislation with support from both sides of the aisle. Without being an actual elected legislator, this is the biggest impact we can have at the Capitol, and I am proud of the way the organization has handled itself overall.

Criticism of an organization like GSB comes from lack of knowledge and an unwillingness to take the initiative to make a change yourself. There are many things that are wrong with student government, just like any other government. But the best way to make that change is constructive communication, not just complaining without any solutions. If you have any comments or suggestions, I encourage you to contact GSB’s president or vice president; your specific senator, who you can find at www.gsb.iastate.edu; or myself. I would be happy to forward you to the person you need to talk to.