Students to go to Capitol to speak with legislators

Photo:Clark Colby/Iowa State Daily

A crowd gathers to listen to a speaker on Regents Day, at the State capitol in Des Moines.

Katherine Klingseis

ISU Ambassadors have arranged charter buses to take ISU students to the Capitol Complex in Des Moines on Thursday for Regents United Day at the Capitol. Buses will depart at 11 a.m. from the south entrance of the Memorial Union and will return to Ames at 3:30 p.m. Lunch will be provided.

At Regents United Day at the Capitol, students from Iowa State and other Regent schools will have the opportunity to talk to state legislators and voice their concerns.

Ahna Kruzic, director of ISU Ambassadors and senior in sociology, said she hopes Regents Day will help constituents connect with their legislators. 

“It’s important for people funding students’ education to hear students’ stories,” Kruzic said. “It helps legislators understand what the student experience is.”

Ben McDonald, Board of Regents’ liaison for ISU Ambassadors and senior in agricultural business, said a common concern for many students is rising tuition.

“I think there has been a lack of awareness in the past by students and legislation, and I think that shows in the support to the universities,” McDonald said.

McDonald said students should go to Regents Day to make legislators realize that, if cuts continue, Iowa State “won’t be the top-notch university like [it] has been in the past.”

“We need to show our appreciation and that we understand the situation because of the economy,” McDonald said. “But, we also need to send our message as well.”

ISU Ambassadors wrote a proposed legislation to present to state legislators at Regents Day. The act relates to “improving the financial responsibility of students, augmenting the fundraising capabilities of the institutions, and assisting administrations of the Iowa Regents universities.”

“The proposed bill is to create awareness,” McDonald said. “We need to make sure we’re the voice of the students. The bill was made so that [legislators] notice that. Once you have a bill, they have to pay attention to you.”