Super Bowl halftime show leads to many predictions

Photo courtesy of Adam Sammler/Wikimedia Commons

Photo Courtesy of Adam Sammler/Wikimedia Commons

America’s “Material Girl,” Madonna, will be taking the stage this Sunday to entertain millions of viewers during Super Bowl XLVI.

In the past, there have been a lot of complaints about certain Super Bowl halftime acts. One that sticks out in several students’ minds is the performance by the Black Eyed Peas last year.

“I thought last year’s [show] was horrible,” said Alexis Jackson, freshman in psychology, “Fergie just sounded awful.”

On the other hand, there are many that have left an impression.

“I really enjoyed the Rolling Stones, because they’re a lot better than anyone else they usually have,” said Ann Goodyear, junior in electrical engineering.

Some of the higher ranked halftime shows have been put on by legends such as Michael Jackson, Prince and U2, so Madonna might just be able to pull it off.

There have also been rumors about other musicians joining Madonna during her performance. LMFAO, Nikki Minaj, M.I.A., Foo Fighters and others have all been discussed, but Madonna has yet to reveal whom she’s collaborating with.

“I’d like to see someone like Lil’ Wayne or something,” Jackson said. “That would be cool.”

According to MTV.com, when asked about the potential rumored performers, Madonna said, “I am not saying ‘Yes,’ and I am not saying ‘No.’ Pom-poms. That’s all I can tell you.”

No one is quite sure what to take from that “clue,” but the singer was a cheerleader back in high school.

The stage must be set up in seven minutes and taken down in eight minutes, with a 12-minute performance in between.

Madonna told ABC News sources, “That’s the challenge. How do you do that? I actually wanted to have 100 drummers come from the ceiling.”

It’s going to take a lot to create a show that will be remembered for years. Memorable shows, like Janet Jackson and Justin Timberlake’s, provided a shocking moment that many will never forget.

“I want to say that Janet Jackson halftime show was the best,” laughed Andrew Thiel, freshman in chemistry.

If anyone can outdo the Super Bowl XXXVIII “wardrobe malfunction,” Madonna can. Now all we can do is wait and see.