Tale of two halves for ISU women’s basketball

Freshman guard Brynn Williamson contests a Missouri player Tuesday, Feb. 21, at Hilton Coliseum. Williamson added four rebounds to the team’s total of 48.

Cory Weaver

The ISU women’s basketball team has had a knack for big second halves this season, but Oklahoma State made sure not to let that happen as it fell 71-63 on Saturday night in Stillwater, Okla.

After a solid first half for both teams, the Cowgirls (14-11, 6-10) began the second stanza with a 19-2 run against the Cyclones (17-10, 8-8). Combined with Iowa State’s 29 percent from the field and 11 turnovers in the second half, freshman Brynn Williamson said they took themselves out of the game.

“I really don’t think that it was Oklahoma State’s defense that took us out of our run, I think … we kind of beat ourselves,” Williamson said on the Cyclone Radio Network. “It’s really nothing with our defense, just us not playing our game.”

Liz Donohoe and Tiffany Bias led the Cowgirl offense with a combined 44 points in the victory. Donohoe, a freshman, scored just four points earlier this season when Iowa State won 73-52 at Hilton Coliseum on Feb. 1, but the team could not replicate that success the second time around.

“We put [Chassidy Cole] on her, who did a great job at our place, and [Liz] blew by Chaz a few times early [and] got a couple fouls,” said coach Bill Fennelly on the Cyclone Radio Network. “When Chaz can’t guard her, that puts us in a lot of problems because now we’re asking people who we need to score to defend her.”

Donohoe had 27 points and seven rebounds Saturday night.

In addition to Donohoe, the Cyclones weren’t able to prevent Bias from her 17-point outing. Bias’ offense helped open the doors for her teammates to score, making her even more of a threat for the Cyclones.

“Getting back was a main thing but it wasn’t just [Bias’] scoring. … She was getting opportunities for other players, and we were trailing down the court and weren’t back-guarding them,” Williamson said.

Last Tuesday, Iowa State missed 14 free throws in its overtime victory against Missouri. On Saturday, the Cyclones connected on 18 of 19 from the line but Fennelly said they allowed the Cowgirls to get there too often as well.

“That was the number one thing on the scouting report: You’ve got to keep them off the free-throw line and make them hit tough shots,” Fennelly said. “We put their two guards on the free-throw line 20 times.”

Overall, the team got beat in just about every category with the exception of 3s and rebounds. Fennelly said it was one of those games where it comes down to Xs and Os. 

“We got beat in about every phase,” Fennelly said. “It’s not always about numbers but sometimes it is.”

Chelsea Poppens led the Cyclones with 19 points and 17 rebounds. The double-double performance was her 14th this season, tying her with Baylor’s Brittney Griner.

“One month, one focus” has been the team’s mantra in February. After Saturday night’s loss, the team is 6-2 during the month with one game against Kansas State remaining before the regular season finale March 3 at Baylor. Williamson drew positives out of the “setback.”

“Today was a minor setback for a major comeback,” Williamson said.