Vagina Monologues raises funds to better lives of Ames women

Madeline Wilhelm

The Vagina Monologues is a production meant to celebrate and empower women’s sexuality and strength.

The actors do this in a humorous way through the liberation of the word “vagina,” which is used frequently in the performance.

It is a series of monologues based on the interviews of more than 200 women conducted by V-Day founder Eve Ensler. V-Day is a global movement to end violence against women and girls.

Each year, this campaign seeks to better the lives of women around the world by donating 10 percent of the proceeds from Vagina Monologues performances. This year the benefits will go to the women of Haiti.

The campaign aims to eradicate violence against women by raising awareness. Productions of Vagina Monologues, like the one being shown on Iowa State’s campus, are helping to raise that awareness.

This play has been preformed at Iowa State for more than 10 years. The cast is comprised of ISU students, staff, instructors and Ames community members.

Blair Gershenson, a member of the directing team, is excited about the mix of people working to put on this production.

“We are so excited to have so many diverse voices included this year,” Gershenson said.

Tickets can be purchased at the Margaret Sloss Women’s Center from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. any day this week. The tickets are $12 for students and $15 for non-students.

Gershenson explained that 90 percent of the proceeds from the ISU production of the Vagina Monologues will go to ACCESS, a local organization that assists people with shelter, advocacy and counseling, among other things.

The  Vagina Monologues will be performed at the M-Shop at 6 p.m. Thursday and on Friday at 6 p.m. and 9 p.m.