Swimming ‘islanders’ prepare for Big 12 Championships

Photo: Jordan Maurice/Iowa State Daily

Freshman Elizabeth Kleiner finishes third in the 300 yard IM finals Saturday, Feb. 4, at Beyer Hall. Iowa State’s win against Kansas marks the Cyclones’ first over the Jayhawks since 2003.

Travis Cammon

Often overlooked because of the “sprinters” Iowa State possesses, the long-distance swimmers are known as the “islanders” by their teammates.

The reason for this is because while coach Duane Sorenson conducts practice for most of the team, the “islanders” practice in two lanes with assistant coach Kelly Nordell and do a completely different workout.

Fresh off the team’s 158-142 win against Kansas last weekend, the long-distance racers practice hard in preparation for the upcoming event.

“They have made tremendous progress,” Nordell said. “They have done it as a unit and as 29 individuals as well. Overall we have 12 new swimmers including 10 freshmen, but they are all very talented.”

Some of the “talented” freshmen include Elizabeth Kleiner, Kristy Kunkel and Sarah Deis, who continue to post the top times for the Cyclones in their respective events.

“Long distance chose me,” Kunkel said. “I just took swimming lessons and it kind of just stuck with me.”

That thought was echoed by both Kliener and Deis, who felt that distance just seemed to be a good fit for them.

With the majority of the group being freshmen, the trio has had to learn how to race on a collegiate level by experience.

“Now I take one thing at a time,” Kliener said. “I used to try and think about every single thing I had to do, but it’s a lot easier now.”

Kunkel echoed Kleiner’s sentiment of being more comfortable.

“Before I was really nervous and didn’t know what to expect from college swimming,” Kunkel said. “But now I’m a lot more confident.”

With the Big 12 Championships approaching, the distance swimmers vie to close out the season on a high note, and all three Cyclones have aspirations of placing in the top eight of the conference meet.

“In two weeks, they’re going to be put to the test,” Nordell said. “But I think we have a mentally tough team and I want them to race with heart. And I want them to realize that they can be as good as they want to be.”