Cyclone swimmer tries to finish season undefeated in event

Travis Cammon

“Fierce” is the word swimming coach Duane Sorenson used to describe true freshman Amanda Paulson, who is currently 7-0 in dual competition in the 50-yard freestyle race in her first season in an ISU swimsuit.

“She’s a fierce competitor,” Sorenson said. “She has no fear when you challenge her and you tell her she can do better than that she will fight to go that much faster.”

Paulson, a native of Monticello, Minn., was an accomplished swimmer in high school, winning the Minnesota state championship in 2009 and 2010 in the 50 freestyle. She was also a member of her high school’s championship 200 medley and 400 free relay squad in 2010.

“I’ve known her high school coach since college,” Sorenson said. “I asked him, ‘Is [Paulson] for real?’ and he said she’s the real deal. So I gave her a call went up for a home visit and watched her practice and saw that she was everything he had said she was.”

Paulson was not heavily recruited in high school, being recruited UW-Green Bay, UW-Milwaukee and South Dakota, and few others.

“It felt really homey here,” Paulson said. “I really loved the pool here and liked the team a lot.”

With just two more dual meets before the Big 12 Championships, Paulson will try to become the first Cyclone swimmer to go undefeated in an event in four years.

“I want to win,” Paulson said. “I love to race and compete. I never thought I would be undefeated in the 50 but I always hope that I can do my best in my races.”

Paulson’s fastest time of the season came against rival Iowa on Dec. 9, where she clocked in at a time of 23.06, just a shade behind the NCAA ‘B’ qualifying time of 22.99.

“[Paulson] loves to race,” Sorenson said. “When she gets to the Big 12 Championships she will be swimming against some of the best kids in the nation so she will have the opportunity to go that much faster.”

Paulson will try to continue her streak when she, along with the rest of the Cyclones, returns to action at Beyer pool on senior night against Kansas in a two day meet on Friday at 6 p.m. and Saturday at 10 a.m.