ISU Democrats awaken dormant club

Photo: Andrew Clawson/Iowa State Daily

Abhishek Vemuri, senior in electrical engineering, right, is the president of ISU College Democrats. Andrew Nguyen, senior in computer science, is vice president. Both are bringing back the previously dormant ISU College Democrats organization.

Liz Zabel

With the election year quickly closing in, it is a great time for America and more specifically ISU students to actively participate in their government. Iowa State’s new ISU College Democrats club provides a place for students to learn and be active in the political community.

Abhishek Vemuri, senior in electrical engineering and president of the ISU College Democrats, said he plans to “create a sustainable group of students and a forum for them to learn what it means to be civically engaged.”

After only one official meeting, the club has 27 registered members. Ideally, the club is shooting for 50 members who regularly attend and participate. Vemuri said he hopes to see every member doing at least 10 hours of work, which can include campaign work, participating in debates, or even writing an letter to the editor for the paper — anything to engage themselves in politics.

“Active citizenry can use government as a tool to achieve things for the common good,”  Vemuri said, “but it only works if they are willing to get involved.”

Andrew Nguyen, club vice president and senior in computer science and math, said there had been a Democrats club years before but is no longer registered.

It was during Vemuri’s State of the Union viewing party that the idea of rebuilding the club sparked. Vemuri and Nguyen had managed to stuff 40 people into their small Frederiksen Court apartment for the event. A friend mentioned that he had noticed Iowa State was lacking a Democrats club, so Vemuri said he decided to restart it.

“We think we have a good group of at least ten to fifteen people who are willing to make this work and bring it back to life,” Vemuri said.

“We’re only in the infant stages,” Nguyen said. “Our main goal right now is to get the basic infrastructure to be a strong force on campus, especially during the election year.” He then added, “We want to give a reason for people to keep coming back even outside the election year. We can start something special on this campus.”

Ross Kimm, sophomore in finance and political science and intern for Obama for America, was one of the first members of the club. “There is a huge void here,” he said, “with people interested in what we are doing and talking about but without a place to do it: We want to provide that place.”

Kimm said he would really like to get everyone involved in local politics. “Right now is a very interesting time in American politics. We need to get people talking, get people active.”

He said he would like to open a dialogue to get people asking questions. “If people oppose us, great,” Kimm said. “We love it. Let’s chat. Out of that interaction come better ideas and a greater space for public action.”

Vemuri said participation is key.

“If everyone comes together to participate, [the government] can be a tool to help society come together. You don’t need to be afraid of it,” Vemuri said. “Active citizenry can use government as a tool to achieve things for the common good, but it only works if they are willing to get involved.”

The next meeting for the ISU College Democrats club is at 4 p.m. on Sunday in 1115 Pearson. Anyone is welcome to come and participate in some icebreakers, talk about politics and munch on some pizza.

“Even if you aren’t fully decided or don’t completely agree, it’s important you educate yourself on the issues so you can make informed decisions and think for yourself,” Nguyen said. “Get out there … and figure out what’s going on.”