Letter to the editor: Comments in “Just Sayin'” section racially offensive

Randy Chanthavong

I am writing in response to a couple of “Just Sayin’s” that were published in the Iowa State Daily on February 21, 2012. The individuals referred to having a staring contest with a “squintey” and “squinteys” invading. First off, I do not know the true intent of the student(s) writing these comments, but I can easily infer that these comments are racist and referring to students of Asian descent, particularly the international Chinese population.

I think it is despicable these kinds of comments are allowed to be published in a supposedly reputable school newspaper, and the editors should look over future “Just Sayin’s” that unfairly target a group regarding ethnicity, gender or even sexual orientation. Allowing racist or even sexist comments may easily make readers question the validity of the Daily.

Second, in reference to the person who wrote the comments, I think it is a huge step backwards for one to even use racist epithets such as “squintey.” You obviously did not realize you have just marginalized an entire group, a group that is in fact incredibly diverse and includes East, Southeast and South Asians. I think you were actually referring to the international Chinese student population because they are the majority Asian group on campus at Iowa State, and you obviously feel threatened if you had to refer to them in a demeaning manner through publication.

I can guarantee you will not fare well in the real world if you continue using this pejorative way of speaking about others, especially those who differ from you in various ways. Diversity is not a negative thing, and the person or persons who wrote the comments need a crash course in respecting others and not marginalizing entire populations of people.