State Gym: A history of recreation and athletics

The original design for State Gym was made by architects Proudfoot, Bird and Watson.

Kayla Kienzle

State Gym began construction in 1911 and was finished in 1913. The original cost was $150,000.

According to reports, it took several tries to approve building the gymnasium. The Board of Trustees first addressed the need for a gymnasium in 1891. In 1903, a sum of $100,000 was requested to build the facility. It was, however decided more funds were needed. In 1908, the Board moved to ask the legislature for a gymnasium building, which would also be used as an auditorium and armory. In September 1911, funds were made available. Architects Proudfoot, Bird and Watson were asked to prepare construction drawings and specifications.

On May 22, 1911, the ISC Student, then the ISU newspaper, reported construction was starting that day.

The gym was to be completed in the fall of 1912.

“In all probability the basketball games of 1912 will be played in the new building,” the 1911 Board of Trustees stated.

The original 90×290 foot building included a regulation swimming pool, handball courts, two locker rooms and an indoor track.

According to reports and minutes, “All in all, [Iowa State College] will have the largest and best equipped gym in the state when it is completed.”

The gym was ready for use in the spring of 1913. It was not until fall that the swimming pool was ready for use, according to an article in the ISC Student in October 1913.

In December 1915, a cinder track was installed on the ground level floor. The gym also added other features. In the fall of 1918, the gym became the dining hall for the army recruits on campus. Through the years, the gym continued to serve multiple purposes. Two weeks after it was a dining hall, it became a hospital during an influenza epidemic. The gym was to be restored to its earlier condition in 1919.

Changes and repairs were made over the years; especially significant were new exterior stairs. A fire in November 1962 resulted in a loss of $8,500 for building repairs and between $8,000 and $9,000 for equipment, according to past reports. A renovation project began in 1967 to restore the facilities. A new track was installed and improvements were made in locker and rest rooms. The renovations of 1967 were the last major construction and improvement projects.

State Gym has had a historical presence on Iowa State’s campus for many years. Although it has not always been the main gymnasium, generations of students have stepped into the building.

“I didn’t go there to workout very much, but my friends and I really respected the traditions and history that went with the gym. During my time, it was more athletes’ territory. The basketball teams were still practicing there,” said alumna Amy Upah.

With the new improvements, State Gym, will continue to be a landmark on the Iowa State’s campus.