Cycling offers physical, social rewards

Lea Petersen

Winter seems to have forgotten to grace Ames with its presence this semester, and what better way to start impressing Valentine hopefuls than heading out into the sun, grabbing a bike and getting your cardio in?

“The benefits of cycling go way beyond weight loss and these benefits go away once one stops exercising,” said Christina Tait, cycling instructor for State Gym’s Cycle-Fit classes. “The basic line is if your goal is to live longer, you need to move. Find a way to move that you find pleasant and fun during the session.”

Tait said finding something you enjoy doing will help you stick to that activity longer. 

“Eventually, in your own time and at your own pace, you will gain more comfort and ease with your process. Things that once seemed impossible will become possible,” Tait said. “The goal is to keep moving across your lifespan to live a longer, healthier, and for some, a more fit life.”

Amber Thornton, senior in kinesiology and health, pointed out that biking is not only good for your cardio, but also for your wallet. 

“We have a very bike-friendly campus. It would be good for college students to take up cycling as a mode of transportation instead of driving,” Thornton said. “I enjoy cycling in the summer as a cardio exercise; however, I tend to shy away from it in the winter.”

Many students have the same mindset that bikes and ice rarely mix well. If winter does decide to be fashionably late, fear not. Stationary bikes in warm gyms are just as effective.

“If a person wants to take up cycling or any form of cardio respiratory exercise for health and or fitness, it is not so important whether they start on a stationary bike or a ‘real’ bike,” Tait said. “With about 40 percent of U.S. adults saying they do nothing in terms of leisure physical activity, it becomes important to choose a way to move and do it at a comfortable intensity with the goal of maintaining enjoyable movement over one’s lifespan.”

Tait said one benefit of cycling indoors is that you can take cycling classes, which will offer you the opportunity to socialize with and support from fellow cyclists.

She said indoor cycling is also a great activity for those with knee problems. 

“When looking at cycling over other cardio respiratory exercise, many people with knee issues may find cycling less painful than running for an example,” Tait said.

Cycling, be it outdoor or indoor, offers people social and physical benefits, Tait said. She explained that both forms of cycling can provide equally rewarding opportunities.

“It is really an individual choice,” Tait said. “Students should start with what feels right and good for you during the exercise process.”