Greenlee School rings in the Chinese New Year

Jasmine Qu

The year of rabbit has passed, and the year of dragon has arrived.

The Greenlee School of Journalism and Communication is going to celebrate the Lunar Dragon New Year in traditional Chinese fashion from 3 to 5 p.m on Friday, Jan. 27.

The celebration will take place in the seminar room in Hamilton Hall and will consist of an informative presentation about dragons in Chinese culture, a talent show of singing and dancing, a Chinese traditional dress show, a poetry recital, painting, Taiwan night market, and milktea shacking. There will also be games, including Chinese word passing, chopstick use and wonton wrapping.

A wonton and Chinese buffet will be available for the guests to enjoy after the show.

It is the second year that Greenlee School has hosted a Chinese New Year Celebration, which was suggested by Michael Bugeja, director of the Greenlee School.

“Our New Year Celebration last year was … magnificent. It had much more than I ever thought. Chinese students are so incredibly talented,” Bugeja said. “I am very proud of our Chinese undergraduate and graduate students. They came a long way to study in this culture, away from family, friends and mentors. Rather than immense them into American culture, the best way to make them feel at home is to let Americans learn more of their culture, to decorate and celebrate it.”

The year of dragon follows the rabbit and recurs every 12th year. The dragon is the symbol of luck, wealth and success. It is the most popular year in Chinese tradition.

In the Greenlee School, graduate students are preparing the show with enthusiasm.

“We feel at home in the Greenlee School. We are fortunate that Chinese culture is so much valued in this school. Even though we are away from family and friends in China, we are celebrating the most important holiday here at home in Iowa State,” said Yuyang Chen, graduate student in the Greenlee School.

“We have a great show for the New Year Celebration,” said Yuwei Sun, also a graduate student in the Greenlee School. “It is a wonderful opportunity for us to introduce Chinese culture and for people from other cultures to learn about China.”

Faculty in the Greenlee School are also excited about this event. “I missed it last year because I was out of the state,” said Daniela Dimitrova, associate professor of journalism and mass communication from Bulgaria. “I am really looking forward to learning more about Chinese culture, and seeing what people normally do in Chinese culture.”

Gang Han, assistant professor of journalism and communication, who is organizing this event, said this is a perfect chance to let more people know how the rich Chinese culture is in the year of the most spiritual animal: the dragon.

Bugeja said the Greenlee School welcomes everyone to come to the celebration. He would like for the Greenlee School to have a Chinese New Year celebration every year until he retires and for his successor will also keep this tradition.