Hughes takes over as GSB speaker of the senate

Photo: Nicole Wiegand/Iowa State Daily

Spencer Hughes took over as speaker of the GSB senate after Nate Dobbels stepped down from the position.

Charles O'Brien

Spencer Hughes, sophomore in speech communication, has taken over the role of speaker for the Government of the Student Body senate, a position formerly held by Nate Dobbels, senior in agricultural and life sciences education.

“GSB exists only to help everybody else on campus,” Hughes said.

The Cedar Rapids native said he has always had a passion for Iowa State, and GSB has allowed him to exercise his passion for the school by helping its students.

Hughes was inspired by former GSB President Luke Roling to take a position as a College of Liberal Arts and Sciences senator on GSB.

Last April, Hughes was nominated for the position of vice speaker of the senate. His running points consisted of reforming office hours for senators.

Along with being vice speaker, Hughes held the seat of vice chairman of the Rules Committee. Now, with the departure of Dobbels, Hughes has filled Dobbels’ shoes as speaker of the senate.

“He’ll do a great job. He’s a leader and there is no doubt in my mind that he will accomplish a lot,” Dobbels said about Hughes.

Hughes also said Dobbels “knew how to run meetings very well and he was always on top of things.”

Hughes said he wants to continue many of Dobbels’ ideas and continue his attitude toward GSB. He said he specifically wants to continue a feeling of ownership among senators.

“We need to keep pushing senators to take more of a stake in their roles,” Hughes said.

Hughes also has a few goals of his own he wants to accomplish as speaker. He said he wants to improve office hours of senators and have senators understand their roles better on GSB. He also said he wants to educate the student body about what GSB exactly is and what it does.

When asked what he wanted his lasting impression to be, Hughes said, “I want to look back and say I made a good impression on GSB and that I improved the ISU experience for all students.”