GSB Senators

Kayla Kienzle

For decades, the Government of the Student Body has been the representative body of the student population at Iowa State University.

“Representing the student body is the main goal of GSB.”  said Jared Knight, vice president of Iowa State’s Government of the Student Body.

Technically, every student is a member of GSB. In other words, all officers represent Iowa State students to the university administration; the local, state and federal governments; and the Board of regents.

“It’s our job to communicate the priorities and interests of the student body to each and ensure that students remain the primary focus of the university,” Knight says.

In order to properly represent students, it’s important to have a range of majors, backgrounds and ages. Representatives and officers range from freshmen students, graduate and non-traditional students. To get involved in GSB, experience is not “required.” In fact, some of the current senators are of freshmen and sophomore standing.

Speaker of the Senate Spencer Hughes joined the GSB Senate in September of 2010 when the Executive Cabinet was very top-heavy with upper-classmen. However, last April, many new younger students were elected into positions.

“I decided to get involved in GSB because, entering Iowa State as a freshmen, I was searching for an activity that looked interesting to me, I had an interest in government and GSB fit the bill,” Hughes said.

Hughes went on to stress the extraordinary amount of leadership experience that GSB can provide.

“GSB has played a tremendous role in my development as a leader and as a problem-solver”, Hughes said. Hughes has gained valuable experience while serving on the senate. When asked what is the most rewarding aspect of GSB, Hughes said, “GSB is able to help so many student organizations thrive by helping them find the funding that they need. Becoming a part of the Iowa State culture is incredibly rewarding,”

So what does it take to serve on GSB? “Students who serve on GSB are passionate about the university driven to lead and willing to work hard for others,” Knight said. In order to obtain a position students run for the office they choose, either in the Senate or Legislative branch. The commitment for GSB varies; “some positions require 20 plus hours a week, and there are positions in between,” Hughes said.

Not only is GSB a service organization, but it also provides a unique leadership experience for those committed to serving their peers. GSB starts and facilitates initiatives to change university polices and provide services for students. The senate also plays a vital role in allocating money to student organizations.

While being on GSB isn’t a very glamorous positions, it serves an important role for students and is extremely fulfilling if you bleed cardinal and gold,” Knight said. The experience that GSB has provided Hughes is priceless. “I’ve been hooked since I joined, it’s an absolute privilege to serve on GSB and I can’t imagine my ISU experience going any other way.”