Clubfest II a Success

Melis Meas

Students looking to browse or join clubs are encouraged to visit ClubFest II for a great experience.

According to George Micalone, director of student activities, an estimate of 3,500 students filtered into the Memorial Union on Wednesday for the occasion.

The Student Activities Center was very pleased with the turnout.

“Everything went really well,” said Erik Kahl, graduate assistant for the Student Activity Center. “We have about 240 clubs here.”

ClubFest in the fall brings in big numbers, but the attendance for ClubFest II is still about average.

“With the fall semester, there’s an influx of new students, so it’s going to be a little larger,” Kahl said.

ClubFest II opened its doors at 5 p.m. and club members could not have been more excited.

Christine Greening, senior in marketing and president of the Marking Club, enjoys the ClubFest atmosphere.

“It’s a lot of fun,” Greening said, “This is my second year working the booth, and all four ClubFests I’ve been to have been exciting.”

Working the marketing booth both fall and spring semester last year gave Greening an understanding of the amount of students who would be there.

“In the fall we get around 90 email sign ups, but in the spring it’s usually around 40 or 50,” she said.

Joining a club is the main focus of ClubFest, but Greening does notice the incentive of some students.

“We get nervous students who don’t know how to approach us, then the ones who sign up just for the free candy,” she said.

ClubFest II is a great place for students to get involved and meet new people. With the new semester starting, there are new faces to Iowa State who are looking to do that.

Charlotte Kellerhals, an exchange student, arrived in Iowa two weeks ago from Paris, and she knew exactly what she wanted to sign up for.

“I love extreme groups,” Kellerhals said. “I signed up for skydiving, paintball and boxing.”

ClubFest II is a great way for exchange or transfer students to meet new people.

“This was really helpful. I hope to meet a lot new people,” Kellerhals said.

Freshmen also hope for a smooth transition from high school.

“I signed up for eight clubs,” said Krista Thompson, sophomore in biological systems engineering. “I’m not playing a sport, so I want to stay active, get involved and have a set schedule.”

Thompson also wanted something new and challenging: “I wanted to join a club that wasn’t related to my major, just to get away.”

ClubFest offers many different clubs, and some may find it difficult to assess where to even begin.

Luckily, students could find the participating clubs from a map stationed in the front entrance.

Veteran clubs that have been at Iowa State for years participate in ClubFest, but this semester it gave an opportunity for a new club to partake for the first time.

The ISU Education Association, strictly for education majors, was very pleased with their turnout.

“We just started this club late last semester, and ClubFest was great for us,” said Jenny Gould, senior in elementary education.

Hannah Hebron, also seniors in elementary education said, “We’ll definitely participate in ClubFest again.”

ClubFest II participants are always excited about the number of students interested in their club.

“We get a lot of our members through ClubFest; it’s a major contributor,” said Maria Jorgensen, three year member of the Women’s Rugby Club.

Some clubs do see the downside to ClubFest II.

“We’ve had a less-than-normal day” said Roger Steinforth, sophomore in the Longboarding Club. “It’s winter, no one’s thinking about longboarding.”

ClubFest II lasts for four hours, with a time frame of 5 p.m. to 9 p.m., but it is a great experience for both clubs and students.

The Rodeo Club sounds fun to many students, and members say they get asked about horses a lot. But “it’s worth it, said Marshall Wernimont, senior in agricultural and life science education. “It’s fun to see peoples eyes light up when they see what they like, and it’s a fun atmosphere.”