WinterFest features Jingle Jog, sales, wintery weather

Ben Theobald

Wintery weather did not keep ISU students and Ames community members from participating in the WinterFest activities and events Friday.

Despite freezing temperatures, activities such as the Jingle Jog saw a good turnout. The Jingle Jog is a 5k run dedicated to Andy Albright, a former member of the Freshman Council who died in an automobile accident in 2005. Benefits from the race go toward a memorial scholarship that is in Albright’s name.

Jacob Bowers, senior in agricultural life sciences and education, was one of many students who participated in the Jingle Jog.

“It is a good activity for a Friday night,” Bowers said. “It keeps you in shape.”

Chase Russell, sophomore in agricultural engineering, participated in his first WinterFest at Iowa State.

“It brings a lot of people together for the holidays,” Russell said. “You get to meet new people and have some fun.”

The Workspace, the Gaffers’ Guild and University Print Society had an arts and crafts sale at the Campanile Room in the Memorial Union.

“We are raising money for our organizations and local artists,” said Letitia Kenemer, fine arts program coordinator at the Memorial Union. “It is a nice mix of community and Iowa State.”

For many of the students, WinterFest was an opportunity to begin the holiday season.

“We just got done making Christmas cards for the Children’s Hospital,” Bowers said. “It was a good motivational way to start off the holiday season.”

The event also was a way to blow off some steam and have a fun experience with friends before the final weeks of the semester.

“It’s important because it gets the spirits up before Dead Week and Finals Week comes around,” Bowers said. “It gives students a little bit of a break before we start heading into our major tests.”