Jingle Jog raises money for scholarship

Mary-Kate Burkert

The fifth annual Andy Albright Jingle Jog, hosted by Iowa State’s Freshmen Council, is anticipating record numbers for fundraising and participation this year for the 5k event.

At a time when students are feeling the sting of tuition rates the most, the Jingle Jog is able to provide some relief with a $1,000 scholarship to an outstanding ISU freshman.

In 2006, the Freshmen Council Executive Board began the Jingle Jog race in memory of a board leader, Andy Albright, who passed away in 2005 in an automobile accident.

It was the members’ way to continue Albright’s legacy, to promote leadership and campus involvement and to help support the ISU freshman class. Money raised from the race will go toward funding the $1,000 scholarship.

“When I was 12 years old, a very close family friend, who had just turned 16, passed away in a car accident, just as Andy Albright did,” said Jake Swanson, this year’s Freshmen Council president and sophomore in public service and administration in agriculture. “He, like Andy Albright, never got to experience a lot of the great things in life that come with getting older. This run is in memory of them and the great things they did during their lifetime.

“The proceeds from the race go toward a scholarship for an outstanding freshman student, in hopes that they will live on to continue doing great things, not only for our university, but throughout life.”

The annual run will take place at 6 p.m. Friday, beginning in front of the Memorial Union and finishing in front of Curtiss Hall on Central Campus. Registration for the race is open and available on the Freshmen Council website at www.fc.stuorg.iastate.edu.

Cash and checks will be accepted at registration and check-in, which will begin the day of the 5k at 4 p.m. in the Sun Room of the Memorial Union.

Along the route, student-athletes and prominent student and campus leaders will cheer on runners.

“People should participate in the race this year because the race itself is a great way to kick off the holiday season,” Swanson said. “In very few fun-runs do you get to dress up in holiday-inspired costumes. Each runner will also get jingle bells for their shoes, a limited edition long sleeve T-shirt and refreshments after the race — not to mention the costume contest, jazzercising and charity card-making during race registration. It should be a really fun event, the proceeds go to great cause, and it will help shed a few of those extra pounds that we put on during Thanksgiving.”

The race is projected to see a healthy increase in participants this year.

“Last year, we had about 650 participants and this year we would like to see at least 750, but I don’t think 1,000 runners would be out of the question, and that would be a record amount of revenue for the scholarship,” said Tym Wood, co-chairman of the event.