Senior earns position of vice president in national organization

Photo: Huiling Wu/Iowa State Daily

Rachel Owen, senior in global resource systems, will be serving as a vice president of the national organization Students of Agronomy, Soils and Environmental Sciences for 2012. 

Maia Zewert

As a senior in global resource systems, Rachel Owen has a lot on her plate.

Besides being the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences Student Council secretary, the treasurer for Alpha Zeta honor fraternity, Veishea entertainment co-chairwoman and a member of both the Soil Judging Team and the Agronomy Club, Owen was recently elected vice president of the national organization Students of Agronomy, Soils and Environmental Sciences. She will be serving in the position in 2012.

Owen decided to run for the position during the national meeting in San Antonio earlier this year. She had been serving as the Soil Judging Contest chairwoman for SASES.

“It seemed like a natural step up from what I had done last year,” Owen said.

Owen’s election to the position didn’t come as a surprise to those who know her. Darrin Rahn, senior in agricultural business, has worked with Owen in a variety of College of Agriculture and Life Sciences events as well as on CALS Student Council.

“It’s an honor to have Rachel represent Iowa State University by serving as vice president of the national agronomy organization,” Rahn said.

Owen will meet every month with the other SASES officers via teleconference to plan meetings and organize speakers. In March, the officers will travel to Washington, D.C. for National Ag Day. She also will play a role in planning the organization’s regional conference, which will be held at Iowa State next year.

While some students might get overwhelmed by all these responsibilities, Owen takes all the opportunities presented to her in stride.

“Being in leadership roles give you practical experience after college, and all my activities give me experience,” Owen said.

Along with her new responsibilities on the national level, Owen is also keeping busy with all her commitments here at Iowa State. The Soil Judging Team recently placed fourth out of 21 teams at nationals. Owen placed sixth individually, one of her biggest accomplishments during her career at Iowa State.

“She is a standout leader with great determination and conviction and I have no doubt she’ll do excellent work,” Rahn said.