Battling homesickness while in college

Lani Tons/Iowa State Daily

An organization member welcomes an incoming student at the ISU Orientation Resource Fair on June 2 in the Memorial Union. There are different clubs, groups and organizations to welcome incoming students and their parents during the month of June.

Megan Petzold

For those of you who are new to Iowa State, you are in for one heck of a ride; during the first week of being here, you will be subjected to almost every single club, organization and society on campus.

However, among all this joy and overwhelming excitement, there may be a feeling in the back of your mind — that creeps up every now and again and makes a pit form in your stomach and turns your good day into a sad, nostalgic one — the feeling of homesickness.

The best way to deal with being homesick, especially for those who live far away from Ames, is to simply live through it. During the first week of college, the best way to make this feeling subside is to get out and do something. Exploring campus, getting a head start on homework at the library or even visiting the rooms of some new friends can help distract you and prevent you from sitting in bed, thinking about who you left behind back home.

When you find you’ve hit a rut and don’t want to leave your room, try calling those who you miss. Calling your parents or FaceTiming old friends can make you feel connected, even from miles away.

Joining clubs on campus is also a great way to meet people and help you get out of your room. Even if you are only slightly interested, joining and going to the meetings might be something to help you overcome that hump of getting through the first few weeks of college.

If you went to the Orientation Fair and found you weren’t quite ready to join a club yet, but decide you might want to later in the year, don’t worry. Clubs on campus are extremely cooperative with you. If you email the president of the club and ask to join, they will help figure something out with you.

Returning students have already been through this process at least once, and hopefully have already started building a solid foundation here at Iowa State. If you haven’t built that foundation, or still feel as though there is no one who you can come to, there are therapists on campus who can help you cope with homesickness and other feelings you might be having. If you feel comfortable or need someone to talk to who might have a better understanding than college students, make one appointment and to see if it helps.

Making a large group of friends won’t always make homesickness go away; the sadness may creep up you every now and again, maybe at the worst of times. But forming a solid foundation at Iowa State will help keep it at bay, and get you a group to support you when you are feeling down.