Flu clinic offers immunization from wintertime illnesses

Lea Petersen

Coughs and sniffles are becoming as common as the changing leaves. Brace yourselves, flu season is coming.

With runny noses and hoarse coughs in large lecture classes, it might be tempting to stay in your dorm, content with waiting out the yearly flu. However, there are simple measures students can take to ward off any unwanted virus.

“The best [preventative steps] are the simplest: eating a balanced diet with mostly fruits and vegetables, sleeping at least eight hours nightly on a consistent basis, and exercising three to five times weekly for at least 30 minutes per episode. I would also include minimal to no alcohol use as contributing to overall good health,” said Dr. Scott Meyer of Thielen Student Health Center.

Unfortunately, there is no miracle food or vitamin that will help prevent the common flu.

“Despite all the advertising, there is no specific vitamin, food, herbal remedy or other treatment that has solid evidence for being immune-enhancing relative to the prevention of viral upper respiratory illnesses,” Meyer said.

However, Thielen is offering a flu shot clinic for ISU students to get their flu shots.

“Getting the flu shot is one of the best ways to protect yourself and those around you,” said Michelle Hendricks, director of Thielen Student Health Center. “The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends that everyone 6 months and older should get the yearly vaccine, and their recommendation especially holds true in the university environment.”

Students should bring their red ISU Card, and the clinic provides the option for either the $20 flu shot or the $25 FluMist. If students’ insurance is on hand at the health center, their insurance company could cover part or all of the shot. Thielen will take the amount that insurance covers off of the amount billed to a student’s UBill.