Homecoming co-chairs prepare for busy week

Katherine Klingseis

Katie Kaiser and Aaron Williams have a lot in common: They both are fourth-generation ISU students, active in the greek community and are the 2011 Homecoming general co-chairs.

Kaiser, senior in marketing, and Williams, junior in agricultural business, are in charge of making sure Homecoming 2011 is successful. Some of their most important tasks were forming their Homecoming Central Committee and then managing that committee.

“We had to make sure that everyone in our committee was doing what they were supposed to be doing in a good time and manner,” Kaiser said. “Luckily, we had a phenomenal committee and they’ve really stepped up and made it easy for us.”

Kaiser and Williams have previously served as co-chairs for sub-committees on Homecoming Central, which is a requirement to be general co-chairs. Kaiser was the co-chairwoman for food on campus and Williams was the co-chairman for displays.

Kaiser said she decided to apply for Homecoming Central after being involved with CySquad, a group that helps at Homecoming events, through the greek community her sophomore year.

“After my experience, I really enjoyed Homecoming, and decided to apply for general co-chair and got it,” Kaiser said.

Williams said he became interested in Homecoming Central after hearing about it from his brother.

“My brother was actually on Homecoming Central when he was a student here,” Williams said. “Then I came to Iowa State my freshman year and loved Yell Like Hell and everything like that, so I decided to apply my sophomore year.”

Before becoming general co-chairs, Kaiser and Williams had to fill out an application and have a 20-minute interview.

“You pretty much wrote up a PowerPoint for this year’s Homecoming — some new ideas, some ways to improve it, as well as how to improve SALC — and then they just asked a simple Q-and-A for about 10 minutes,” Williams said.

Kaiser said she was interested in becoming a general co-chair because she is interested in planning important ISU events.

“I’ve always kind of enjoyed planning and organizing events,” she said. “So I just thought it would be a great way to express that.”

Kaiser and Williams both said that they liked how “fun-loving” the people on Homecoming Central seemed to be. That attitude is no different this year, Williams said.

“We work hard and get everything done, but we have a good time too,” he said. “I’m definitely glad I decided to get involved with Homecoming Central.”

As far as expectations for Homecoming 2011, Williams and Kaiser hope people in the ISU community participate in Homecoming events and enjoy themselves.

“Homecoming is a time to welcome back past students and kind of embrace Iowa State traditions and happy we are to be here now,” Kaiser said. “I just hope everyone celebrates that.”