Cyclones have ‘vendetta’ with Hawkeyes

Photo: Samantha Butler/Iowa State Daily

Fans cheer on Iowa State from the stands Friday, Sept. 17 at the ISU Soccer Complex. The Cyclones were defeated 4-0 by Iowa.

Cory Weaver

Aside from the football matchup in the annual Iowa Corn Cy-Hawk series this weekend, the ISU soccer team takes on Iowa as well and hopes to reverse last year’s result in Iowa City.

“We definitely have a vendetta with them,” said sophomore midfielder Emily Goldstein. “Last year’s game, the score was kind of embarrassing, so we just need to make sure we come out a lot harder and we need to make sure that we show them that we’re not just like some team they can just rollover and plow through and beat us 4-0.”

After winning five of their first six games this season, the Cyclones dropped a pair to Wisconsin-Milwaukee and Georgia last weekend, where they failed to score a goal in either match. Coach Wendy Dillinger said capitalizing on the opportunities they create will be crucial for a Cy-Hawk victory.

“We have to battle for 90 minutes, we need to put a full 90 together, compete hard, [and] finish chances,” Dillinger said. “If you can’t capitalize on your chances, you have no chance of winning. We’re going to give goals up, it’s going to happen, but we need to be scoring as well.”

One thing Iowa State has working in its favor this time around is some added confidence the team gained this spring. In a 60-minute spring game, the Cyclones beat Iowa 3-0, and hope they can replicate that success in a 90-minute contest.

“I think this past spring we just executed; when we got the chances, we finished them,” said sophomore forward Jennifer Dominguez. “We were all over them defensively, controlling the ball, high pressure, moving off the ball dynamically, and we played a full 90 minutes against Iowa in the spring. So I think if we just do the exact same thing, we’re going to come out with a win.”

Sophomore goalkeeper Maddie Jobe was pulled from the game against Wisconsin-Milwaukee last Friday and freshman Andrea Swanson stepped in for the remaining 20 minutes. On Sunday, Dillinger gave Swanson the nod against Georgia as well, but said the starter spot against Iowa is still undecided.

“It’s wide open, totally wide open,” Dillinger said. “It’s kind of up for grabs.”

Last season, midfielder Amanda Woelfel was forced to redshirt after being sidelined all year with a preseason injury, but she said she noticed a few things that could help produce a winning effort.

“We didn’t play terrible all the time, but we just had lapses in judgment,” Woelfel said. “I would say where we broke down and then we would get scored on and it happened a lot, so we lost 4-0.”

Prior to the start of the season, Goldstein said the team made it clear it needs to beat Iowa and prove the Cyclones are a different team than last season. On Friday night at 7 p.m., the Cyclones will get their chance to do just that.