University hosts forum about proposed School of Education

Ben Theobald

The university community hosted an open forum on the proposed School of Education on Thursday at Science Hall.

“We want to provide the necessary background information to understand what the proposal is, as well as provide an opportunity for any additional input and discussion,” said Pam White, dean of the College of Human Sciences.

In the spring of 2010, the curriculum and instruction and educational leadership and policy studies came forward with a proposal to create a School of Education.

It was voted in favor by CI & ELPS to move forward with the planning process. The provost’s office reviewed a recommendation that the proposal would go forward in June 2011.

Through September, there have been meetings with the departments, units and colleges. On Sept. 13, the proposal will be introduced to the Faculty Senate and then reintroduced on Oct. 11, where the vote will take place.

“Some of the reasons for a School of Education is that there would be an increase in visibility, opportunities to develop and market a distinct identity in Iowa,” White said. “The School of Education concept does support the college mission of expanding human potential.”

Other benefits of creating a School of Education included a larger pool of resources for students in professional development, research connections and access to faculty, labs and other resources.

“The mission of the School of Education is to create, share and apply knowledge and to advocate for equal educational opportunities and socially responsible education reform in Iowa, the nation and the world,” said Carl Smith, professor and chairman of the department of curriculum and instruction. “The School of Education will be a premier leader in education based on the foundation in the humanities and social sciences with a noted emphasis in leadership and science, technology, engineering and mathematics.”

Lissa Place, graduate student in educational leadership and policy studies, asked if social justice would be separate from higher education. It was noted in the forum that the School of Education would be a part of Human Sciences.

“At this point, it requires some further discussion on what it should look like in the future,” said Dan Robinson, interim department chairman. “Where it’s connected will depend a lot on the people that are presently involved in the program.”

According to Smith, if a student had interests in more than one area they would not be limited to just that area.

“I don’t see major reorganizations taking place in saying I applied to this program, so therefore I don’t have a relationship over here,” Smith said.