DeVore: DREAM Act gives immigrants a chance at the American dream

Elliott Devore

First introduced in 2001, the DREAM Act, short for Development, Relief and Education for Alien Minors, has been bounced back and forth between the U.S. Senate and House of Representatives and repeatedly failed. The bipartisan bill was drafted to create an avenue for children brought to the United Sates before the age of 16 obtain permanent residency, by serving two years in the military or attending college within six years of high school graduation.

An estimated 50,000 to 65,000 undocumented children graduate from US high schools only to find themselves with out any options to better themselves. Because they are undocumented, they are not eligible to: get driver’s license, register to vote, attend college in some states, qualify for in-state tuition in states that allow attendance, apply for financial aid for college, or even apply for a job.

Most of these children have no recollection of the country they were born in They speak fluent English and, if asked where they are from, would respond the United States. Even though they have spent the same amount of time in the United States as myself, a U.S. citizen, their reality is tragically different. The lack of citizenship forces so many into an underground labor market that constructs an inequitable underground economy.

Not only do undocumented immigrants work in this underground economy, but also they live in constant fear of deportation because of harsh immigration laws in states like Arizona and Georgia. Without the proper identification, undocumented workers can be deported for simple things like traffic tickets. Laws and practices like these have innate issues of racial profiling and are incredibly racist.

Undocumented youth should have every right to access higher education and citizenship as I do. Why should I receive the right to higher education because my parents were born in the United States? These students had no say in where they were born or in moving to the United States, so why should the U.S. prevent them from obtaining the “American Dream”? They lived an American childhood and grew side by side with us. Why are they treated differently? This is a daily reality for nearly 65,000 undocumented youth that graduate from high school each year.

Many of these students graduate at the top of their class, yet because of their legal status, they are barred from higher education, barred from obtaining any glimpse of the “American Dream.” This blatant injustice is infuriating and brings me to tears. It is hard for me to understand why the DREAM Act repeatedly fails to pass. It’s a reality everywhere in the U.S. and we need to start paying attention.

The 2010 census data shows that of over half of the population growth in the last decade consisted of Latino/a people. It addition it reported that 23 percent of the total U.S. population are Latino/a. With such a large percentage of the United States’ youth being Latino/a and possibly immigrants we see how directly the DREAM Act impacts not only their futures but also the future of the U.S. as a whole.

In Iowa, it has been reported that six percent of the labor force is undocumented workers, and many of them work hard labor or factory jobs, such as meat packing facilities. Iowa has a huge need in labor positions and unskilled work, and undocumented workers are often those who fill them. There has been a history of spotlight on undocumented workers throughout the state, especially in the meat packing industry.

Federal raids on many plants in Marshalltown and Potsville, Iowa have deeply impacted the meat packing industry, causing the loss of employees. During the raids many employees were found to be in the U.S. illegally, with others to have committed identity fraud to obtain employment. Because so many employees were removed, such raids have ceased. It is very possible that many of those employees were brought to the U.S. as minors and took employment because they legally had no other options. Though Iowa has had negative images surround immigration, a state-level DREAM Act was proposed in 2004. The Iowa DREAM Act passed in the State House of Representatives, but unfortunately the Senate did not even consider it.

Currently undocumented youth can attend Iowa State University, but they must pay out-of-state tuition, which costs several thousand dollars more than in-state tuition, even if they grew up in Iowa and attended an Iowa high school. Doesn’t seem fair, does it? Not only do undocumented youth have to pay out-of-state tuition at Iowa State, they also can’t apply for scholarships or Federal Pell Grants or loans through the FAFSA.

If you are like me, it would be impossible to attend college with out Pell Grants, scholarships and loans. Now let’s revisit the statistic I gave earlier, if 6 percent of Iowa’s work force is undocumented, think about how many of those workers have families. A percentage of those families’ children won’t be able to obtain an education because it is not a financial reality, or obtain a living wage job because of their legal status. If the majority of Iowa’s job market is in the agriculture and meat industry related, which typically has had a higher percentage of undocumented workers, why are we disenfranchising productive community members from obtaining an education because of legal status?

Fall 2011 enrollment of Iowa State Students that were categorized as “Hispanic/Latino, of any race” was 993 which is roughly 3 percent of the total student population. Remember, the census said that 9 percent of Iowa youth under 18 were Hispanic. I wonder if there is any correlation to current practices with undocumented youth.

If the DREAM Act were to pass, it would allow undocumented youth in Iowa and across the nation to qualify for in-state tuition, federal loans, Pell Grants and scholarships, and eligibility for the armed services. This is would provide a larger percentage of our nations youth a means to obtain legal residency. Further, if someone is a citizen you can tax their income, which means more tax revenue for the government!

The DREAM Act is crucial for the future of Iowa and the Nation by securing opportunities for a better life. It’s important that we stay informed and write our representatives to pass the DREAM Act. I applaud the Iowa Representatives who voted to support the DREAM Act : Sen. Harkin (D), Rep. Boswell (D), Rep. Braley (D), Rep. Leobsack (D). Those who voted NO on the DREAM Act were: Sen. Grasley (R), Rep. King (R), and Rep. Latham (R). I will be vocal, will you?

Take action, and demand that your elected officials vote YES on the DREAM Act. The Statue of Liberty reads, “Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free.” I believe the undocumented youth of America are the “American Dream”. Its time to realize that and give them a chance!