Matchup against Northern Iowa a family affair for Willms, Cyclones

Photo: Gene Pavelko/Iowa State Daily

Hannah Willms digs up the ball on Aug. 20 at Hilton Coliseum during the cardinal vs. gold scrimmage. 

David Merrill

There’s nothing like a fun-filled, family feud to add to the already hostile atmosphere that comes with playing Northern Iowa.

The No. 12 Cyclones (9-0) head to Cedar Falls tonight at 7 p.m. Freshman outside hitter Hannah Willms will face off against her cousin — sophomore Jenny Willms for the No. 15 Panthers (6-1).

“It’s more like a joking family feud,” Hannah Willms said. “We can’t really pick sides. I’m pretty sure our whole town is going to be there.”

The Willms’ are Cedar Falls natives and both graduated from Dike-New Hartford High School. Hannah Willms said she knows the entire DNH volleyball team is going to be there for the occasion.

Since they aren’t allowed to pick sides, the team will come dressed in their usual blue and white garb.

Growing up in the same town, Jenny and Hannah had plenty of time to play on the same team. They were high school teammates for three years in high school before Jenny graduated in 2009.

It also will provide a little extra motivation.

“It’s always fun, just because we’re family, but it’s never really a serious thing,” Hannah Willms said. 

The Cyclones come in at No. 12 while the Panthers maintained their No. 15 ranking despite losing to Minnesota in their previous matchup.

Northern Iowa leads the all-time series 25-23, but Iowa State has won five of the last seven matchups. This included a sweep in last year’s victory.

The race to be the best team in the state is kind of an unspoken topic, but it is on their minds.

“We don’t talk about it, but I think it’s given that it’s a team goal,” said coach Christy Johnson-Lynch.”Northern Iowa has an awesome tradition, they’re ranked in the top 15 in the country right now. I’m sure it’s something they think about.”

Setter Bre Payton is one of the players the Cyclones are going to set their focus on. 

“UNI has a great setter,” Johnson-Lynch said. “We’ve seen her a lot in the past few years. She runs the show and the team kind of revolves around her. We’re going to have to be really alert to her and who she is setting.”

Payton comes in averaging 2.67 digs per set and has 104 digs on the season — second highest on the team. Middle blocker Krista Degeest comes in as the blocking leader for Northern Iowa, with 1.31 per set.

Iowa State is off to its best start in school history and will try to build on that against the Panthers. Senior outside hitter Rachel Hockaday feels that team unity is a big key to this.

“In years past, everyone has been friends, but this year we just have a really special chemistry,” Hockaday said. “Everyone is very close and in the tough times we’ve had, we’ve just clung together and said were going to play for each other.”

The game at the McLeod Center will start at 7 p.m. Tuesday.