Finals Tab: Fueling your brain with good finals snacks

Iowa State offers many snacks for students ranging from fruits and vegetables to chips and candy. As finals week begins students are looking for the perfect snacks to fuel their brains and get them through the week. 

Jordyn Dubois

As students begin to work their way through finals week, an assortment of snacks begin to make an appearance.

Through all of the options available, this poses the question of what snacks are the best to help students do well on their final exams.

Students should make sure they are eating three meals a day, every day, with one to three snacks in between meals to ensure their body has enough energy for studying, etc.,” said Lisa Nolting,a registered dietitian and program coordinator for student wellness.

Nolting said the brain prefers glucose which is found in carbohydrates, so its important to include carbohydrates in meals as well.

Carbohydrates are sugars, starches and fibers found in some foods and helps the body obtain energy. Some foods that are high in carbohydrates include fruits and vegetables, grains, bread and milk products.

“Eating a balanced diet during finals week can make it easier to focus during long study sessions; this includes snacks,” said Kallen Anderson, a registered dietitian with campus dining services. “Try to include two food groups in snacks as this helps with satiety and decreases the likelihood of getting ‘hangry’ during a study session.”

According to a snacking handout Anderson gives to students, snacks should combine high fiber and protein for a lasting result. Some good choices for snacks include:

• 1 apple and 2 tbsp peanut butter
  • ½ cup carrot chips and 2 tbsp hummus
  • 1 container greek yogurt and 1 tbsp granola
  • A handful of nuts and 3 baby peppers
  • 1 string cheese and whole wheat crackers
  • 1 hard-boiled egg and 1 banana
  • 1 handful dehydrated fruits and 1 handful nuts

“Gauge and honor your body’s natural hunger and fullness cues,” Anderson said. “Eating when you’re bored or stressed and not actually hungry isn’t the smart thing to do. There are so many other ways to de-stress.”