ISU faculty and staff Q-and-A — Tom Loynachan

Katherine Klingseis

Name: Tom Loynachan

Official title at Iowa State: Professor of agronomy

As a student, what was your favorite part about your first year in college?: Although many years ago now, I well remember the newness of it all. This was a big place, and this was really the first time I had been away from home. There were lots of changes from my high school routine. Some took more time adjusting to than others. All-in-all though, it was exciting and fun.

As a student, what were some challenges you faced in your first year in college?: I think time management was my biggest challenge. All these possibilities of things to do, and how do I balance the many opportunities with what is important? Also, I had a girlfriend back home, which didn’t help in time management, especially on weekends. I grew up close enough to Ames (south central Iowa) that I could return home weekends. That girlfriend and I finally married (and have been together for more than 40 years), so that was probably time well spent.

What is some advice you would offer new ISU students?: Enjoy the time here, but don’t lose track of what is important. The final decision on most things you do should be based on your educational goals. Take advantage of all the opportunities available. Also, communicate with your advisor. If you have problems, they are probably not unique. Someone on campus can help you, and your advisor likely can put you in contact with that individual. Good luck!