Whooping cough cases increase in Story County

Photo: Kelsey Kremer/Iowa State Daily

Cases of Pertussis, commonly known as whooping cough, have recently increased according to a press announcment from Mary Greeley Medical Center. Terri Olinger, Homeward Public Health Nurse of Story County said receiving a vaccination for whooping cough should be considered. 

Lea Petersen

Mary Greeley Medical Center of Ames recently released a press announcement about an increase in Pertussis, commonly known as whooping cough, cases throughout Story County.

“While children ages 5 to 14 years typically make up the bulk of reported cases, it’s especially important that adults receive pertussis-containing vaccine because they can spread the disease to infants who are too young to be immunized,” the release explained.

Terri Olinger, Homeward Public Health Nurse of Story County explained that even though college students do not typically fall in the category that is most susceptible to pertussis, the vaccination is something all students should seriously consider.

“Teenagers and young adults can have pertussis and don’t know that they have it. In young adult it can appear as a nagging cough. There is no whoop to the cough (pertussis is often described as a cough with a ‘whooping’ sound as air is inhaled) and is not life threatening. However, students who work with children can pass it on to children who may not be immunized or may be too young to receive the immunization. That’s why young adults and teen have been targeted,” said Olinger.

“The vaccine, called Tdap, is available at Homeward Public Health. Walk-ins are welcome on Mondays and Wednesdays from 8 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and Fridays from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Homeward office, located at 1114 Duff Ave. in Ames.

For more information, call Homeward at 515-239-6730,” provided the Mary Greeley press release.

“The vaccination cost $50, but students should check with their insurance providers, as most insurance companies will cover the cost. Students should bring their immunizations records with them,” said Olinger.