ISU administrators and Ames mayor welcome new students at Destination Iowa State

Photo: Nicole Wiegand/Iowa State Daily

Incoming students stand inside Hilton Coliseum for the Destination Iowa State Kickoff event on Aug. 18. This year’s incoming freshman class is the largest Iowa State has ever had.

Paige Godden

“Everybody must graduate. I want to see each and every one of you back here for graduation in four or five years. Not six. We don’t have a six year plan,” said Thomas Hill, vice president of Student Affairs, to the freshmen class at Hilton Coliseum Thursday night. 

Hill said the incoming class is the largest in the institutions history — 4,654 strong.

Hill also said the University broke its own record for numbers of students transfering in to Iowa State. “That four or five year program does not apply for [transfer students],” Hill added.

Hill encouraged freshmen to join in the festivities at Destination Iowa State so they are ready to attend classes on Aug. 22. 

In a video, the University’s president, Gregory Geoffroy, encouraged students to join extracurricular activities and clubs on campus, saying they will “help strengthen you as an individual.”

Mayor Ann Campbell joined in the welcoming ceremonies. She welcomed students to their new community and said there are a number of things the community relies on the University for, including Cyride. 

Upcoming activities on Aug. 19 include a breakfast on central campus, educational sessions and Late Night at the Memorial Union.