Stay safe and healthy during the school year

Lea Petersen

Students have been packing during the last days of summer and boxing up every piece of clothing that might be needed for the upcoming school year. But two items that should be in all their cars as they trek back to Ames are a mini first aid kit and a portable version of Mom’s medicine cabinet.

Greg Yeakel, chief staff pharmacist at Thielen Student Health Center, said that there are many ways students can care for themselves.

“There are many medicines that are safe and effective that students can administer themselves. Over-the-counter drugs such as Tylenol, aspirin and Aleve are great for minor aches and pains,” Yeakel said.

Most students are on a budget. They can’t always afford to run to the doctor for every ailment. Fortunately, Yeakel has some first-aid tips for students who have to watch their expenses.

“For cuts, cleaning the wound is the most important. Adding ointment such as triple antibiotic will help with healing,” he said. “In the case of mild burns, immersing the burn in cold water and not putting any ointment on the burn at first is the best plan of action.”

As always, if students have any health-related questions, or experience worsening health conditions, they should see a physician.

“If students have any questions about how to treat a wound … they are encouraged to call the Student Health [Center] number. There is always a nurse who will answer,” Yeakel said.  “Also, students can come into the pharmacy and talk to a pharmacist. We might be able to prescribe a topical treatment.”