ISU faculty and staff Q-and-A — William Jenks

Katherine Klingseis

Name: William Jenks

Official title at Iowa State: Professor and chairman, Department of Chemistry

As a student, what was your favorite part about your first year in college?: My favorite part of the first year of college was the new living experience. I was away from home, although not so far away that I couldn’t go home for weekends. I had a new level of freedom, but also a new level of responsibility — both academically and in just taking care of things for myself.

I had a great roommate, but there were some cultural differences that I had to learn about and deal with in his circle of friends, and I am sure he probably felt the same way. My dorm floor stood in as a family away from home. We supported each other pretty well as we all tried to cope with new higher standards, freedom to choose (wisely and foolishly) and the like.

I really think that college can be an important transitional period for people socially and developmentally, as well as this great academic opportunity.

As a student, what were some challenges you faced in your first year in college?: In high school, we covered material pretty much into the ground. I found that I knew things that I knew (if that makes sense), but that in college, we went a lot faster and covered a lot more ground.

I also had to figure out very quickly that it was my responsibility to take care of myself academically. There were plenty of resources around, but I had to go to them, not the other way around. There was a lot less paternalism than in high school.

What is some advice you would offer new ISU students?: I’d like students to know a few things: First, start things right away — try to constantly keep up with your work and not leave things for later. Second, don’t neglect the time required outside of class. On average, expect to spend 2 to 3 hours outside of class for every hour in class. Third, remember that learning is your responsibility.

Your professors will lay things out for you in a sensible way and give you the materials and resources, but there is no substitute for you getting in and doing the work. Learning is an active pursuit!

All this said, do make some time for yourself as well. Whatever your chosen work responsibilities or extracurricular activities are, consider using a calendar program or some other method of formal time management. Learning to deal with all this new stuff you have to do is a major factor in being able to get it all done, getting time for your outside activities and still having time to sleep!