Fampus debuts on Iowa State campus

Michaela Sabin, 22, stands outside T-Galaxy on Wednesday to inform passers-by of Fampus. Sabin is an ISU alumnae and is the PR representative for the website.

Paige Godden and Emily Harmon And

Find fun fast on your campus. Fampus.com, a social networking site dedicated to event organization, launched at Iowa State on Tuesday.

“We’re trying to do what Twitter did for the Facebook status, only with events,” said Brittany Brody, founder of Fampus.

She said the site is different from Facebook because users can search for specific events for information and photos, rather than having to look through friends’ profiles to see if anyone went to the event.

Brody is originally from West Des Moines and attended the University of Wisconsin, and said when she arrived on UW’s campus, she was overwhelmed by all of the events.

She started asking her peers at the university if they would be interested in a site that would bring together every event on campus and finally hit a breaking point when she found out that she missed the author of a book she had read who had been on campus.

After deciding Fampus was a necessity, Brody talked to her dad, an entrepreneur, and met with professionals who were experienced in building websites. They eventually launched the beta version at Grand View University in Des Moines.

Devlin Hogans, a senior in communication and journalism broadcasting at Grand View, initially met the program with disdain.

“I think it is a waste because we pay them for what Facebook can do,” Hogans said.

Another student, Katie Zens, junior in accounting and finance at Grand View, echoed those views.  She said Fampus was a good concept but she didn’t recall friends using it or talking about it after it was introduced.

After testing the site at Grand View, however, Brody changed a few things. The site is now free and will draw revenue from local advertisement.

Right now the site is focusing more on getting student traffic to the website over advertising.