ISU faculty and staff Q-and-A — Kaila Folinsbee

Katherine Klingseis

Name: Kaila Folinsbee.

Official title at Iowa State: Adjunct assistant professor of anthropology.

As a student, what was your favorite part about your first year in college?: I loved the freedom to choose whatever classes I wanted — my high school curriculum was pretty rigid, and I loved being able to take all kinds of different classes. I really enjoyed the atmosphere, being in a place where everyone was engaged and curious about all kinds of different ideas.

As a student, what were some challenges you faced in your first year in college?: It’s easy to get behind in classwork. If you miss one week’s readings for a class, it seems to pile up exponentially. I found it hard to get caught up if I fell behind even a little. And learned to stay on top of readings and assignments.

What is some advice you would offer new ISU students?: Aim for balance between academics, extracurricular activities and a social life — don’t let one take over. Try new things; take classes you’ve never heard of, and join clubs, talk to the person sitting next to you in class, consider study abroad and field schools to get a different perspective. If you’re having trouble in a class, make an appointment and go talk to the prof — we’re really happy to work with students early in the semester to help you succeed. Eat your fruits and veggies; get enough sleep and exercise.