CyRide holds budget meeting

unknown

CyRide’s increase in fare for all riders other than students can cause repercussions for the community. With the recent shooting down of provided fare free riding for K-12 students, the Ames community has marginalized its riders.

Ben Theobald

The Ames Transit Board of Trustees, which administers the funds for CyRide, held a public budget service meeting at CyRide headquarters Thursday night.

Transit Director Sheri Kyras discussed and broke down CyRide’s budget for the past fiscal year, as well the budget for the next, which will begin July 1.

“Right now our total budget is $8,240,022,” Kyras said. “We’re $55,000 over our budget for this year. We’re looking at that $8.2 million budget and looking at what other areas that we can cut expenses.”

Fuel prices affect the amount at which the budget is set. The purchase of fuel, which is not under contract for four months of next year, could cost more or less than CyRide officials have budgeted for.

“It’s very difficult to see what the price will be in fuel,” Kyras said. “Everyone understands the challenges and knows it will have an impact on CyRide. The community would like to maintain the service and fares at CyRide that we have today.”

For Cyride’s coming fiscal year, which begins July 1, eight months of fuel will be locked in under contract at an average price of $3.05 a gallon.

Another budgetary issue is that state transit revenues, budgeted at $500,000, could increase or decrease. Also, dollars paid by passengers through cash fares, tickets or passes could be higher or lower than expected.

Although Kyras and her staff are uncertain about many aspects pertaining to the budget, they do know that next year’s budget for CyRide will be slightly higher than that of recent years.

“For next year we’re budgeting $775,000,” Kyras said. “This is about $150,000 to $250,000 over what the budget is for the year period.”

Possible options for remedying the anticipated budget shortfall are increasing fares and reducing service.

“We are looking at possibly increasing fares and maybe reducing our services,” Kyras said. “That would include eliminating routes and hours that a bus would take.”

There was an outcry from Ames residents against the increase of CyRide fares. The last time fares were raised was March 2004. At that time, fares were increased from 75 cents to to $1.

The debate also brought up the question of whether ISU student fees should be raised in order to fortify the budget. Kyras stated that the board does not plan on raising student fees.

Residents who didn’t attend the meeting can fill out a survey. The survey will give CyRide staff members a means of knowing what services matter to residents.

Residents have until June 7 to fill out the survey, which will be shared at the meeting with the Transit Board June 9.