Somerville cites personal, professional reasons for potential career move

Dean of Students Dione Somerville

Dean of Students Dione Somerville

Sarah Binder

Though a lot is still uncertain about the status of Dean of Students Dione Somerville’s application at University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point, she says she feels now is the right time for a change.

“For me, right now, both professionally and personally, if I’m going to make any sort of move, now’s a good time to do it,” Somerville said Monday.

Professionally, she said it is a good time in the Dean of Students office because of where the office is in its strategic plan and because of developments during the past few years, such as the State Gym redevelopment and filling open positions in the department.

Personally, she cited her family.

“I’ve got one teenager and one almost teenager,” she said, “we want to be settled before they get to high school.”

She said her decision has “absolutely nothing” to do with the announcement from President Gregory Geoffroy that he plans to step down no later than July 31, 2012.

However, Somerville also said if she is not selected for the vice chancellor position there, she would be pleased to stay at Iowa State for years to come, saying there is a lot to be excited about.

“Above all else, this is such a welcoming community, and I’ll continue to enjoy relationships with people here,” she said. She said her favorite part about Iowa State is the people, both other faculty and the students.

During her tenure at Iowa State, there have been many accomplishments in the departments that fall under the supervision of the Dean of Students office.

Somerville said she was proud of developments in the greek community; work with retention, including the Academic Success Center; revision of the sexual misconduct policy, including outreach and education; serving students with disabilities and increasing their numbers on campus; growth in Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Student Services, including adding a full-time coordinator for the program; renovation of the Sloss House; strengthening programming for Multicultural Student Affairs; and the renewal of the government grant for the Student Support Services Program.

“I’m under no illusion that that’s me,” Somerville said of the accomplishments. “It’s a group effort; it’s a team. And that’s why I feel really good about the state of the Dean of Students office.”

“Everyone has the same goal in mind,” she said, “to make the student experience as spectacular as possible.”

The position at University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point would have similar responsibilities, such as overseeing residential life, health, counseling and multicultural services, and more, said Ron Strege, director of multicultural affairs and chair of the search committee.

The vice chancellor of Student Services position would be on the second level of command, below the chancellor of the university, along with vice chancellors for development, business affairs and academic affairs. This is not unlike the structure at Iowa State, where beneath the president there are vice presidents for business and finance, student affairs and academic affairs. The position at University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point opened due to a retirement.

After each of the three candidates hosts a community forum this week, the search committee will give feedback to the chancellor, who will make the final decision. The new vice chancellor will start on July 1.

Strege said he could not comment further on individual candidates.

“All of this could just be, ‘hey, it was a great experience.’ I’ve never been to that part of Wisconsin before,” Somerville said of the current uncertainty.

No matter what happens, Somerville said she believes Iowa State and its Dean of Students office will be in a strong position moving forward.

“There’s such a wealth of good people here,” she said. “I have a lot of faith in where we are as an institution and where we’re headed.”

“You don’t get to be 150-plus years old by accident,” she added of Iowa State’s history.